Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Feeders

BuckHunter21

My wife's father has plenty of land in Iowa. We put two 30 gallon feeders out about 4 months ago and his neighbor came up to us and was telling us we are breaking the law and if we don't stop using them he was going to turn us in to DNR. Both feeders are currently empty as we told him and he just kept going on with his crap. When do you have to stop running feeders or is it illegal in Iowa?

Baiting is not allowed in Iowa. What you are doing is illegal no matter what time of the year it is. It must be a natural food source such as a food plot.

beararchery said:
I think its only illegal if you hunt over it, i think you have to be atleast 200 yards from it.

You may be write. I was just going by what the regs said. I took a second look at it and the only mention of being that far away is if it is a feedlot otherwise it is not permitted to bait. Might just have to be a question to call your local GW about.

You are legal, especially if it is empty during the hunting season.

If you feed during the hunting season, you cannot hunt deer over it NOR can you hunt deer that are traveling to or from it.

You can have them out year round if you wish, just can't hunt over it or around that area. Every DNR officer will interrupt the law different on how far away you need to be. Best bet is to call up your local officer for your area you have these feeders at and see what he believes the distance should be.

hawkjosh22 said:
How is a "food plot" a natural food source? They're only there to attract the deer. :confused:

Yes they are only there to attract deer but they are not dumped out of a bag or bucket on a specific spot. This gives much more validity to the fair chase idea. I guess when i think of a food plot i think of corn or soybeans that a farmer and hunter can both enjoy a harvest.

Top Bottom