Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer herd

One spot I hunt looks like this every evening, but a mile out from my stand. Drives me nuts when they start pouring out of a timber I have no access to, into the wide open farm field. Usually 3 really good bucks with them too.

One thing to keep in mind is this farm is most likely pulling deer for miles...probably only standing bean field around, thus its not just "your" deer herd, its also you neighbors, your neighbors neighbor, and your neighbors neighbors neighbor....so yes i agree looking at this one photo appears it could be a problem, but when in all reality its not most like the whole story....

The UP in MI has “deer yards” where deer come from miles to evade the massive amounts of snow. To survive. It would look like “tons of deer” but when they spread back out- the deer population is actually very low. Late season is far from best time to judge populations.
That picture is wild though. Wow!!!!

And we wonder why legislators want to introduce center fire rifles!?!

Correct. ^^

Center fire rifles, longer seasons, more weapons, etc, etc, etc. Nobody other than a deer hunter would be happy about that many deer in a given region, not motorists, not farmers, not gardeners, not insurance companies, etc.

One thing to keep in mind is this farm is most likely pulling deer for miles...probably only standing bean field around, thus its not just "your" deer herd, its also you neighbors, your neighbors neighbor, and your neighbors neighbors neighbor....so yes i agree looking at this one photo appears it could be a problem, but when in all reality its not most like the whole story....
This is very accurate - I see deer around here move a mile or two in the winter leaving 1000s of acres void of a single deer but go to their wintering grounds and you'll find it looking like this. Come first sign of spring all deer move back to their normal areas and things don't appear "so bad". It's very shocking though to scan some of these areas at night with a thermal and see zero deer for three months straight, really gets a guy down in the dumps for the next season

I'm failing to see the problem in this photo. It's their late winter food source. I know quite a lot of places where private land owners leave beans/Corn for the deer. And their places I'm sure look like this.

Looks to be a very large farm with lots of timber and 7 different food plots that look pretty big. The pic is a funnel area to food plots. Hard to say what the neighbors property looks like, but they mixed beans and corn into their food plots which will attract a lot of deer in the winter.

I leave a few plots every year of standing beans and corn and I see tons of deer late season on these plots. One thing that is surprising, is that I rarely pick up any new mature bucks. It seems to pull the does and some new young bucks only.

Top Bottom