Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer hunting insight for 2022 first gun season

tthor

I'm new to the forum. I'm from Colorado and will be hunting Iowa for the first time. I will be hunting private property in Dallas County along the Raccoon River. I've heard there are a lot of deer and some very nice bucks. I will be hunting alone. I know the common way to hunt there is place blockers and push woods. Am I better off to find a vantage point and wait for everyone else to move deer around? Even to slowly walk the woods looking for bedded or moving deer. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

I stopped participating in deer drives late ‘90’s, opting instead to just sit and have others push deer around. Maybe a slow stalk here and there if I get itchy feet. Find a pinch point along the river that funnels deer movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully they won’t drive the property you are sitting on ? Definitely funnels, but food can be good as well.

Last edited:
If you are hunting where there’s other hunters and guys pushing, IMO & experience - 10am to 2pm are the BEST TIME to be in woods. I used to sit there after it got light & saw “a few deer”. Whenever the guys started the pushes- that’s when it got bananas. Which was usually mid day. I’d sit all day long. Tree stand in timber be ideal in those scenarios. Good luck!

If the neighbors are pushing, look for a likely escape route.
Expect that a mature buck will use his nose to survive.
When still hunting, whoever is moving is at a disadvantage.

I have very good luck hunting afternoon feeding paterns leading to " green" food source if temps are 30 or above and beans n corn if weather is cold! For what its worth i do not hunt mornings during gun seasons i let them settle in undisturbed! Hunting gets better n better as season roles on!!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Late to the party but here's my 2 cents. Is it a lease or permission spot? And is it sole? Hate to say it but there's lot of places that aren't supposed to get pushed that do up here. So even if you aren't expecting people to be there be ready for it. I'd dress warm, bring food and drinks and prep for an all day sit. If no one is pushing around you, you will get natural morning and evening movements with a chance of some midday rut activity. If people around you push neighboring ground, you have no idea when the deer will be moving but you will want to be there when it happens. Find a pinch point/escape route or get in the bedding.

Top Bottom