Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Loin Recipe (Plz add more!)

DannyBoy

While going through my freezer trying to make some room for deer coming back from the locker and upcoming fishing adventures I came across some deer loins (backstraps) from last year. Luckily, no freezer burn and they thawed out really nice! Here is MY personal favorite recipe along with some variations of it. I don't know what it's called, just how to do it, so here goes.

I know a lot of people that insist on marinating, but I think this recipe is so packed with flavor that it can be performed as a "rub" and get the same result. I'm sure some of you have similar recipes.

You'll need: soy sauce, brown sugar, spices of preference (mine are listed below), minced garlic (fresh or canned) and a grill (preferrably charcoal:way:).

1. Spice the loin(s) with ground garlic sea salt, lawrys, fresh cracked pepper and cayenne pepper. Don't be shy on any of this, as a lot is lost in the cooking process. I ESPECIALLY hammer it with cayenne because I like it a little spicy. Another great spice to heat it up is Lawry's Red Pepper blend, it's pretty smokin'!

2. Once you've rubbed the spices in, cake the entire loin with brown sugar and minced garlic (fresh or canned). I mean lay it on THICK. I like to press it in as hard as possible without tenderizing the steak.
*for reference, I'd say I probably use 1/2 - 2/3 cup brown sugar and a tablespoon minced garlic per steak.

3. GRILL IT! I prefer to pour soy sauce over the steak as it's being grilled, as opposed to marinating it. I only turn my steaks once, and each side gets a medium-light covering of soy sauce. Medium-rare is my preference...

That's all! It's easy and delicious. It's sort of an asian/teryaki taste and IMO with the cayenne pepper is the perfect blend of sweet, salty and spicy. This recipe has been responsible for many a "deer meat hater" finally coming over to the deer steak dark side.

Some other variations:

1. If using this as a marinade: rub the spices in, dump a bunch of brown sugar, a dazzle of soy sauce, minced garlic, and dark beer in a ziplock and let marinate overnight. A little different but still great taste.

2. Wrap the steaks in bacon. This is better done with marinated meat, as the bacon "insulates" the brown sugar/soy sauce mixture and if done as originally described, too much sugar stays on the meat imo since it's not making contact with the grill and drizzling off. I also like to sear the steaks before-hand.

3. Sprinkle some white sugar on as you grill. White sugar caramelizes better than brown and leaves a different texture on the meat that some people prefer, just not me.

4. If spicy is not your thing, leave out the cayenne.

I have a ton of steaks and roasts to eat yet (6 deers worth), so I'd be glad to hear some of your recipes. Anybody ever tried the coffee grounds idea?

my favorite recipe can only be done in the spring.

saute a sweet onion, a little garlic, and some morells in butter (atleast a large skillet full of morrels). when oinions are translucent, set asside.

take a chunk of whole loin. 8 inches or so. slice lengthwise, but not all the way through. basically a giant butterfly cut. cover with plastic/wax paper, take a heavy cast iron skillet, and pound until about 1/2-3/4 inches thick (tenderizer hammer will work also).

lay loin flat on your cutting board. take half the morell/onion mixture and spread out over the loin. start at one endo of the loin and roll the loin into a log. tie with some butchers string, or netting. (i have made it without tieing, but it stays together better if tied).

place log in a shallow baking dish (9x9 will work fine). pour the rest of the morrels/onions over the log, cover and bake at 350.

FREAKIN DELICIOUS

teeroy, that does sound freakin delicious! Lucky for me, I have morel reserves :way: They aren't quite as good as they are fresh, but would probably be perfect for this recipe. Thanks!

I did leave out the addition of sauteed onions. ESSENTIAL!

I also read this from a butcher. If you want your venison to taste really good, soak it in salt water for a few hrs/overnight, to draw most of the blood out of the meat. Tastes better, I think.

A blast from the past, Kat posted the recipe here years back. I make this at least once a year as a special treat. Might not be to everyone's taste, but it I find it an excellent change of pace. I don't mind eating my venison rare, as I do all the butchering myself.

[FONT=&quot]Seared Encrusted Carpaccio of Venison[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 handful fresh rosemary, finely chopped or a couple teaspoons dried rosemary, crumbled
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Light sprinkling dried oregano
1 piece of venison backstrap or eye of round, size to fit number of servings (1 eye of round serves 2)
About 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely diced
1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
Small handful fresh cilantro, finely diced
Cold pressed Sesame oil
Soy sauce, to taste
Juice of 1 or 2 limes

Mix the coriander, chopped rosemary, salt, pepper and oregano and sprinkle on a board or work surface. Roll and press the venison over this, making sure the meat is completely covered with the coating. In a very hot, DRY cast iron pan (do not oil the pan,) sear the meat for around 5 minutes until brown and slightly crisp on all sides. Remove from the pan. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes before slicing as thinly as possible (the inside should be raw to rare) and lay the sliced meat on a large plate. Gather the diced ginger. Flick these randomly over the sliced meat along with the jalapeno and cilantro so each piece has some. Drizzle with a very small amount of sesame oil, some soy sauce (not too much) and freshly squeezed lime juice.

Serve with a salad and vegetables dressed with lots of real butter. [/FONT]

well..... I just might be considered an expert in this area! :grin:

Keep the loin whole
wrap it completely in hickory bacon
marinate it for at least 1 full day, 2 is my preference
marinade with some kind of garlic (specific mixture is your call)
half a bottle of red wine
cook on grill until bacon is crispy.....

I hope you like your meat medium rare....

seriously, this will change your life!!!

A buddy turned me on to this. We take the loin, throw it in the crock pot, season it with salt n pepper. Then add a dry Italian Dressing packet, and a packet of dry Au jus mix, and a couple of cups of water. Let it cook all day. Take it out of the crock pot, and it should be falling apart. Shred up the rest of the way. Take juice out of crock pot and put in pan on stove, thicken into a thin gravy, add meat back to it, eat over Hawaiin sweet bread or rolls, or on hogie buns with melted chees and onion or on egg noodles. Very good.

This one is about as tough to follow as it gets, so pay close attention.

Roll in flower and fry in butter. Salt & Pepper if you like.

I know, tough to remember, but it is delicious!

deeraddict, I've always wanted to try an Au Jus with deer. Glad to hear it works!

dc, I've heard of a lot of people doing this and haven't tried it yet. I'll be sure to give it a shot. Thanks guys!

I tried cooking a venison rump roast like it was a beef roast tonight in a Dutch Oven. I used a packet of generic Lipton Onion and one cube of Beef bouillan in 5 cups of water for the stock. Seasoned the roast with Lawrys and pepper and seared it in HOT olive oil and minced garlic before adding it to the dutch oven with potatoes, carrots, and a couple yellow onions. It was ALMOST awesome...almost. I cooked it for 2 hrs. at 285, which turned out to be too hot, too fast. The roast was very tender but a little on the dry side. I think cooking at 250 or even lower would be ideal for 4 hrs. or so.

The gravy was THE BOMB though. Since there was no fat in the left over juices I took it out of the dutch oven. I melted some butter in the oven over medium heat and added flower to make a sort of paste, then added the juice from the roast. I'm not a big gravy guy, but it was great! Definately a different taste than you get with a beef or chicken stock gravy. Try it!!

well..... I just might be considered an expert in this area! :grin:

Keep the loin whole
wrap it completely in hickory bacon
marinate it for at least 1 full day, 2 is my preference
marinade with some kind of garlic (specific mixture is your call)
half a bottle of red wine
cook on grill until bacon is crispy.....

I hope you like your meat medium rare....

seriously, this will change your life!!!

What's your wine of choice, or does it really matter? I don't know jack about wine, so at least point me in the right direction. This sounds like it could be good!

NOTHING FANCY HERE, BUT GOOD TAKE LOINS BUTTERFLY CUT THEM POUND OUTFLAT OR SO,DIP IN EGG THEN CRACKER CRUMBS, JUST LIKE YOU DO A FISH OR MUSHROOMS. THEN FRY THEM UP IN PEANUT OIL UNTIL LITELY BROWN,MAKE A WHITE GRAVY, MASH SOME POTATOES, PUT POTATOES ON TOP OF LOINS AND ADD LITTLE GRAVY ON TOP, COUNTRY FRIED STEAK IS WHAT YA GOT! :drink2:

This is a very easy roast recipie, But don't let the ease of it fool you it is awesome.

Take a rump roast (or football roast as I call them) put in crock pot with a couple of cups of water and 1 can of Coke. You can add onions or whatever else floats your boat. Cook it on med heat all day and eat it for supper.:way:

Don't forget to put the roast in frozen!! You will have to adjust cooking times for a thawed roast.

Next, challenge someone to tell you it's not beef!! :way:

NOTHING FANCY HERE, BUT GOOD TAKE LOINS BUTTERFLY CUT THEM POUND OUTFLAT OR SO,DIP IN EGG THEN CRACKER CRUMBS, JUST LIKE YOU DO A FISH OR MUSHROOMS. THEN FRY THEM UP IN PEANUT OIL UNTIL LITELY BROWN,MAKE A WHITE GRAVY, MASH SOME POTATOES, PUT POTATOES ON TOP OF LOINS AND ADD LITTLE GRAVY ON TOP, COUNTRY FRIED STEAK IS WHAT YA GOT! :drink2:

That sounds delicious. Am going to have to try that one.

This is a very easy roast recipie, But don't let the ease of it fool you it is awesome.

Take a rump roast (or football roast as I call them) put in crock pot with a couple of cups of water and 1 can of Coke. You can add onions or whatever else floats your boat. Cook it on med heat all day and eat it for supper.:way:

Don't forget to put the roast in frozen!! You will have to adjust cooking times for a thawed roast.

Next, challenge someone to tell you it's not beef!! :way:

I've heard of people using coke as a marinade. Interesting!

i like to slice it into very thin slices, about 1/4 inch thick. cut up the entire loin that way and throw it in a ziploc with olive oil and sierra mist as a marinade. i also add in a few others things with the marinade to my liking like soy sauce, worshire sauce, spices and usually a bit of red wine. do this in the morning and let it set all day.

at night fry the pieces in butter (you won't need much butter because of all the olive oil still on the meat). i usually throw the meat in with some rice or teriaki noodles to make a sort of asian dish. me and the wife love it, usually eat up all my backstraps before spring:D

Dont know what actually happened to the the thread on AT. But here is one that my fiance LOVES.

Ingredients:
Deer backstrap.
Bacon- thin sliced and cheap
toothpics
cream cheese
kokoman terakyi-soy sauce maranade
garlic powder (not garlic salt!)
pepper
pepper-Jack cheese- thin slices
1 link of deer sausage- cut or shredded into fine pieces.
Jalapenos- remove seeds and cut into slivers
onion- Cut into slivers 1in long
meat tenderizer mallet

Lay the backstap out and cut 3/4 in filets.
Take a meat tenderizor and beat until the meat is flattened out to the size of a softball.

Now dip the meat into a shallow dish of the Kokoman maranade. Then dust with garlic powder and pepper.
Now spread cream cheese on one entire side of the meat. The more the better.

Now sprinke some of your shredded deer sausage in the middle.
Add your onions and Jalapeno slivers. I usually us 1 or 2 Jap. slivers and 2 or 3 onion slivers.

Now take one side of the meat and roll it all up like a sushi roll.

Wrap the roll in bacon and secure with toothpics.
Now cook on the grill until the bacon is cooked like you like it.
About five minutes before you think they are completely done add the slice of pepper jack cheese to top of each roll and let melt.

Remove and cool

Top Bottom