Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer with large tumer.

Hillwalker

I just wanted to get some opinions on this. This summer I got several pictures of a small
buck with a large softball sized syst or tumer on his chest between his front legs. Well last weekend he came within 15 yards of me while hunting that area. Now the tumer is about the size of a basketball. I almost culled him out of the heard but would not have trusted eating the meat. I was wondering if I killed it and showed it to the DNR if they would issue me
another tag or would I be stuck with the sick deer. Maybe what he had could not spread it might be just an old wound but I have been thinking about getting rid of him. What do you guys think. I may post the pics later.

I WOULD CALL THE IOWA DNR ABOUT THIS. HERE IN P.A., IF A DEER IS HARVESTED AND LATER DETERMINED TO BE BAD WE GET ANOTHER TAG. I AM SURE THAT THE DNR WOULD SEE THE NEED TO CULL THIS DEER FOR THE GENERAL POPULATION AS WELL AS THE POSSIBLE SUFFERING IT MAY BE EXPERIENCING. GOOD LUCK.

i'm pretty sure if you show them the pics and the dead deer, they will give you another tag maybe even make u up one before u shoot it then throw that tag on the deer and get rid of him!!!

I'm sure that the deer either has some type of cancer or infection from a wound (i.e. a fence, fight or shot). If the spot is that large it is doubtful that he will make it through the winter and it doesn't sound like he could spread it to the rest of the animals in the area. I'm pretty sure that the DNR would agree and just let him become Coyote bait when the weather turns cold. Let us know what the DNR has to say.

The CO's I know wouldn't give you a new tag. An Iowa deer lisence gives you the right to shoot a deer - it's not a guarantee that you'll have edible meat to take home when you do.

Top Bottom