Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Diesel treatment

deerdown

I assume many of you have a similar situation to me in regards to their tractor use.
I use my tractor about 20 or 30 hours a year. I try to keep the fuel tank full after every use to prevent as much condensation as possible. I also have 10 gallons of diesel sitting in 2- 5 gallon containers.
The containers were filled about 2 months ago.
I was just wondering what, if anything, people are doing to stabilize the diesel, and prevent water and algae from causing problems. Do you use any biocide, or just use one of the diesel additives like Power Service silver bottle, seafoam, etc, in either the tractor, or the 5 gallon tanks? I'm trying to prevent problems from old fuel.
I might burn 4 or 5 gallons a month in my tractor, which means, in my 14.5 gallon tank, although I'll fill it each time, there's older fuel getting added to, diluted, but the older fuel might be 5 or 6 months old i suspect.
In the winter months, i basically stop using my tractor in October and start using it again in March, so there's a 6 month stretch the fuel just sits in the tank.
What do others do, not do, in this case?
Thanks

Is it biodiesel? We don't buy bio, but don't do anything to our diesel other than give it winter treatment if it's something to be used in cold months.

Not biodiesel, just regular farm diesel. Sometimes summer, sometimes winter blend, depends when I buy.

If it's sitting less than a year like you are describing I don't think you have to do a thing. Gas is a whole different story.

Timely discussion.

I just replaced both diesel fuel filters on our tractor. I ran into problems last winter, new tractor to me and I didn’t open the petcock on the two fuel filters last fall, had icing issue that a product called 911 got me through.

I had bought a bottle of another winterizing supplement, thought of adding it yesterday when I swapped filters, but reading the label, they recommended their summer treatment. I’ll try to look at the brand/bottles tomorrow.

Take home for me is drain a little out the bottom of each filter in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it biodiesel? We don't buy bio, but don't do anything to our diesel other than give it winter treatment if it's something to be used in cold months.
Same here. ^^ Right or wrong...I have not treated my diesel other than the winter treatment to avoid freeze up.

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
My usage rate is very low also. I put stabil and seafoam in every can I fill unless I know I'm using it in the next few days, otherwise it could be many months. Before winter I put 911 in the tractor and and my one or two 5 gallon cans. It might be overkill but I haven't had any problems and it does not cost much since my usage is only ~20 gallons a year AND it really sucks when it won't start that one time you really need it!

Remember that you need to run the motor after putting in a 911 type treatment. It needs to get through the fuel lines and filter. It is there to prevent the lines and filter from gelling in cold weather. If it's just in the tank it doesn't do much good.

Top Bottom