Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR Banning Mineral

This is probably a stupid question, but is there a way to vaccinate against TB or CWD? If two combined states spent 200 million dollars on research and prevention would it be cost effective to treat/vaccinate instead?

This is probably a stupid question, but is there a way to vaccinate against TB or CWD? If two combined states spent 200 million dollars on research and prevention would it be cost effective to treat/vaccinate instead?

The only defense against CWD at this time is to limit/reduce exposures.

Mineral licks and baiting concentrate animals into a very small area. Feces, urine, and saliva are very localized and this is thought to be the real root of CWA. Food plots don't concentrate animals like the above do. Outlawing this practice is a good call for keeping animals safe. Remember, everything man touches environmentally, he usually ruins. Mineral licks and baiting for cameras is not natural and just a disaster with disease waiting to happen. People that are into their trail cameras should be practicing different methods to get their pictures, whether it is made into law or not.

Sharing Saliva is what deer do. They are constantly licking. TB has always been around. CWD,,I have read is similar to the Mad Cow disease. This is some kind of Protien gone WILD, not an actual Germ. Supposedly started, due to the unatural practice of feeding animal byproducts to Herbivores, that are plant eaters. I agree,,man usually screws up the natural world, but as I stated before,,you have to be careful to seperate facts from Hype and alternate agendas.

Perhaps this thread needs some real facts on the issue.... so that there can be a constructive argument instead of people spouting off....

Anyone have any facts that support the idea that CWD is on the verge of decimating Iowa's deer herds?... or is the fear of it the only influence?

I'm not going to support this bill (if it exists) until I see some hard data. I'm sure most of you are smarter than me so enlighten me! :)

I get over half my pics from mineral sites and I was skeptical at first. The numbers and issues in surrounding states just don't lie however. I'm as big a conspiracy theorist as the next guy but I'm onboard with this one after watching other states from the shadows these last few years. I am interested however on a previously mentioned point about the remaining residuals from pre-existing licks. I find it hard to believe that people would be expected to excavate ground below old mineral sites to stay within the confines of the law. As HSB 631 is currently written though, that's precisely what would be expected per the newly proposed section 57 1a. How far down would a guy have to dig to eliminate the attraction? Bottom line I'm supporting this one but I am going to ask for a clarification on this point.

What I know and I'm not an expert

Chronic Wasting Disease, CWD, is caused by a mis-folded protein that gives it almost virus (virion) properties. Thus, scientists combined the word protein and virion to make a name for it: prion. CWD is similar to Mad Cow disease (BSE) and the sheep version is called Scrapies. The protein bascially eats holes through the animals brain. The prion has been shown to be very persistent in soil, surviving many chemical and heat attempts to inactivate it. The prion can be transmitted by saliva.

Is it a threat to Iowa's deer herd?

How far down would a guy have to dig to eliminate the attraction?

My guess would be that on clay to loam soils, a normal farm tractor with a front end loader would be able to scoop out enough soil with one or two buckets. This soil could be put into a manure spreader (easiest method) and broadcast over a large area, where it would be less attractive to deer. One or two scoops of "fresh" dirt over the existing lick would discourage the deer from digging down to any remaining salt in most cases.

But the thing to be proven, is a mineral lick the cause. As stated before, deer share saliva..just a fact of the animal. Whether its gonna be at a lick, in a field, or anywhere. Yeah, stopping mineral licks would be helpful, but you would have to ban food plots because as stated, they are going to share the same saliva. Its no different. I know someone said its like sneezing my face or in my garage, but if the deer are over populated, its going to be just like in my face on that ground. If that makes sense. The biggest problem is places where the deer are overpopulated IMO. I dont want to sit and spout and cause argueing..but thats just my 2 cents...

I think that despite the fact that as avid sportsman looking to enjoy the fruits of our trail cams labor, that supporting such a bill would be a wise move.

While it is indeed assumption that would link a mineral lick with the many diseases mentioned it is also realistic to link it and baiting. With baiting being illegal in IA, it makes sense to see a mineral lick as the same thing.

I've really got no dog in the fight but I'd say that b/c the two are very likely viewed as much the same in some people's eyes. I'd say that if push comes to shove and if it had to go this way or making baiting legal then you'd be wise to give up the licks.

Realistically, it'd be pretty tough to eliminate existing licks......and then we've got cattle salt, and horse mineral and so on...

I pray the ailments never show up here in Iowa,,because in the words of a politician in Washington recently,,"Never let a disaster, go to waste". The supposed problem will be the excuse for many agendas. Especially fuel for the,"Kill more deer Syndrome", that is already strong in this state,,as in others.

[Quote: its going to be just like in my face on that ground. If that makes sense.]

Pretty sure you mean pants on the ground. And yes, it makes perfect sense. :confused:

I would be willing to stop using mineral for getting pics if it means lessening the risk of either disease.

Also, baiting is not food plotting, food plotting is not baiting, but Finkle is Einhorn! :way:

Why now? It's been in Wisconsin for a quite a while...does the DNR know something we don't? Maybe this is the real reason for nuking the deer numbers.

I would guess this would have a negative domino effect on land prices, starting with rec land. Any thoughts?

Kaare - It is not illegal to place food or minerals, but it is illegal to hunt over either of them. This law is about making it illegal to place food or mineral whether hunting over them or not. We already have the law in place to stop the cheater who hunts over a bait pile or mineral site. What we don't have is the law to try and prevent the spread of CWD and other diseases.

Banning minerals is not what is going to keep CWD and TB out of Iowa. Nature is going to take its course one way or another.

The sharing of saliva is an interesting point. I'm no biologist so I may be incorrect, which is nuthin new, but don't deer tend to stay in family groups so to speak?

So you've got a family group that licks and grooms each other, let’s assume they are disease free. Now let’s say a young buck gets dispersed from his area and he has CWD or Tb. He wonders into the range of the family group in question, takes a lick of a mineral pile, continues to wonder around licking various mineral piles in a 5 mile radius. How many family groups are in that area that use mineral licks? One of the family groups uses the lick, moves to groom her fawn or another family member and there it gets spread.

Now if that infected buck ate a piece of clover here or a turnip there, just sort of browsing as deer do, the chances of an uninfected deer eating from the same piece of clover or the same turnip is pretty low, but the chances of licking from the same mineral pile is pretty high.

I guess I’m saying deer do swap spit like high schoolers at the prom, but they would have to get infected from some where and it would more than likely be from a mineral/bait station than just normal grooming/browsing.

There has to be a “ground zero” and it is gonna be an infected deer licking from a mineral site/bait station, not from that dispersing deer grooming another deer.

The ‘Bonker

The sharing of saliva is an interesting point. I'm no biologist so I may be incorrect, which is nuthin new, but don't deer tend to stay in family groups so to speak?

So you've got a family group that licks and grooms each other, let’s assume they are disease free. Now let’s say a young buck gets dispersed from his area and he has CWD or Tb. He wonders into the range of the family group in question, takes a lick of a mineral pile, continues to wonder around licking various mineral piles in a 5 mile radius. How many family groups are in that area that use mineral licks? One of the family groups uses the lick, moves to groom her fawn or another family member and there it gets spread.

Now if that infected buck ate a piece of clover here or a turnip there, just sort of browsing as deer do, the chances of an uninfected deer eating from the same piece of clover or the same turnip is pretty low, but the chances of licking from the same mineral pile is pretty high.

I guess I’m saying deer do swap spit like high schoolers at the prom, but they would have to get infected from some where and it would more than likely be from a mineral/bait station than just normal grooming/browsing.

There has to be a “ground zero” and it is gonna be an infected deer licking from a mineral site/bait station, not from that dispersing deer grooming another deer.

The ‘Bonker
that sounds like a movie we had to watch in high school on stds your school must have shown the same one
icon7.gif

Top Bottom