Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR Meeting Experience - Upcoming Bills!

brycemeis

I just wanted to share my experience at the DNR meeting here on Feb. 21st.
I thought it was full of great information and facts about what's actually happening in the state of Iowa. It was cool to be able to actually voice my own opinion on what goes on within the state. SO I THOUGHT! (wait until the end)

This was my first meeting and was wanting to address the 5 or 6 upcoming bills trying to get passed that would totally DESTROY the whitetail hunting.
I would like to say it's been a total learning process trying to figure out how these bills get passed and why! Still trying to figure some of it out.
Here is the list of the bills we discussed the other night.

-SF 208- formally SF175 second chance bow tag “crossbow”

-SF 277 - NR family deer tags

-SF 42 - NR increase tag quota from 6 to 7,500

-HF 322- Transferable deer tags to landowners

-SF 255- NR deer tags to outfitters

-SF 138 - The use of Airbows

If one or all of these get passed the states hunting will be destroyed!! I have seen this happen in other states! We DO NOT want to have degraded hunting like 90% of the other states.
If you need more information on these bills check out - https://iowawhitetail.com/threads/week-6-added-a-crazy-bill-hf322.63511/

Come to find out these bills get brought up by interest groups that have nothing to do with hunting or the state of Iowa. Just a bunch of lowlife's that want money into their own pockets at the cost of OUR great hunting state. It really frustrated me that the DNR doesn't get to have a say in any of the Legislative bills. I found out at the meeting when a few guys mentioned "we can give the DNR all this information on what bills we DON'T want passed and all the things we do like but they really can't do a whole lot about it."

Couple guys including myself were wondering why??
It's because the DNR has their hands "tied" if you will. Who funds them? Oh yeah the state.. They can give the information on that was discussed at all these meetings around the state but they can't go fighting for what we want changed / left alone. Personally I think it's BS they can't stand up for what the public believes in and way in their opinion, at the level of legislation.

My next question was, so what do we need to do to get the ACTUAL message we want to the Legislation???
I got a few different answers.

1. We NEED to get in contact with Iowa Senate, House, and regular members on the Natural Resource Committee. Does this sound fun absolutely not but it needs to be done!!
ANYTHING - Emails, Letters, Call, Talk In Person.
Over heard "You can reach any member but if you let them know you are in their district when communicating with them it would mean more as you would be a voter in their district."
Contacts (Yes there are a lot! Do what you can.) https://iowawhitetail.com/threads/week-6-added-a-crazy-bill-hf322.63511/

2. Legislation holds public meetings. (new to me) They are asking for more guys like yourself reading this to show up and voice your opinion. AND if you think your opinion won't matter, you're wrong because I had multiple guys come up to me saying "they are BEGGINNG for guys to come in and speak!!" You young guys as well!
If we want to continue to hunt big mature whitetails, see good numbers and quality hunting we NEED TO ACT NOW!

3. DNR meetings held throughout the state like the one I attended this week. Great information to take in and they need to hear from the hunters as well.

4. Help out at the Iowa Bowhunter Association booth March 3-5th during Iowa Deer Classic to help spread the word! Even if it's for a few hours or a day they could use the help!

5. If you don't want to do any of the options above at least share this with all your buddies. Share a post on social media! Join IBA

Get the word out! That's half the struggle. Most people including myself in the past wouldn't even know this was going on until it was passed.

I'm just your young average Joe that doesn't know a whole lot about this Legislation process, it actually makes my head hurt. Im learning and so can you. If I can do it, ANYONE can!
It's the least we could do for what this great state has given us!!
Please - BEFORE THESE BILLS GET PASSED!!!

^^ this! I would like to know when and where!

I attended these DNR meetings for several yes they were fun but in reality just a JOKE because like you said there hands are tied as they don’t make the laws.
Great thread and I like your spunk and involvement to try and keep Iowa great

According to this article- “not enough deer are being killed say sportsman”. And one farmer had a whole field wiped out overnight by what he suspects are deer….really. Take this how you want, but it’s the idiots like that- who have the time to go to those meetings.

Read that earlier today as well. I have 2 main thoughts on that article. Those guys that were at the meeting with destroyed corn either suck at hunting or don't let anyone hunt.
And #2 is id venture a guess that most of that damage wasn't done by deer.

I’m guessing it was his sweet corn patch, lol. A “pack of deer” took out the whole field over night . Think of how many it would take to accomplish that in even a 1 acre plot.

Let’s say there are 18k plants/ac. With 100 deer in that field, each one would have to eat 180 plants or the equivalent of over a bushel of corn each that night. If it’s a 200 bu/acre field that’s 2 bushel ea. Impossible.

Last edited:
I’m guessing it was his sweet corn patch, lol. A “pack of deer” took out the whole field over night . Think of how many it would take to accomplish that in even a 1 acre plot.

Let’s say there are 18k plants/ac. With 100 deer in that field, each one would have to eat 180 plants or the equivalent of over a bushel of corn each that night. If it’s a 200 bu/acre field that’s 2 bushel ea. Impossible.
You are correct, but its those people that are getting articles printed and then the masses think its true...

I just wanted to share my experience at the DNR meeting here on Feb. 21st.
I thought it was full of great information and facts about what's actually happening in the state of Iowa. It was cool to be able to actually voice my own opinion on what goes on within the state. SO I THOUGHT! (wait until the end)

This was my first meeting and was wanting to address the 5 or 6 upcoming bills trying to get passed that would totally DESTROY the whitetail hunting.
I would like to say it's been a total learning process trying to figure out how these bills get passed and why! Still trying to figure some of it out.
Here is the list of the bills we discussed the other night.

-SF 208- formally SF175 second chance bow tag “crossbow”

-SF 277 - NR family deer tags

-SF 42 - NR increase tag quota from 6 to 7,500

-HF 322- Transferable deer tags to landowners

-SF 255- NR deer tags to outfitters

-SF 138 - The use of Airbows

If one or all of these get passed the states hunting will be destroyed!! I have seen this happen in other states! We DO NOT want to have degraded hunting like 90% of the other states.
If you need more information on these bills check out - https://iowawhitetail.com/threads/week-6-added-a-crazy-bill-hf322.63511/

Come to find out these bills get brought up by interest groups that have nothing to do with hunting or the state of Iowa. Just a bunch of lowlife's that want money into their own pockets at the cost of OUR great hunting state. It really frustrated me that the DNR doesn't get to have a say in any of the Legislative bills. I found out at the meeting when a few guys mentioned "we can give the DNR all this information on what bills we DON'T want passed and all the things we do like but they really can't do a whole lot about it."

Couple guys including myself were wondering why??
It's because the DNR has their hands "tied" if you will. Who funds them? Oh yeah the state.. They can give the information on that was discussed at all these meetings around the state but they can't go fighting for what we want changed / left alone. Personally I think it's BS they can't stand up for what the public believes in and way in their opinion, at the level of legislation.

My next question was, so what do we need to do to get the ACTUAL message we want to the Legislation???
I got a few different answers.

1. We NEED to get in contact with Iowa Senate, House, and regular members on the Natural Resource Committee. Does this sound fun absolutely not but it needs to be done!!
ANYTHING - Emails, Letters, Call, Talk In Person.
Over heard "You can reach any member but if you let them know you are in their district when communicating with them it would mean more as you would be a voter in their district."
Contacts (Yes there are a lot! Do what you can.) https://iowawhitetail.com/threads/week-6-added-a-crazy-bill-hf322.63511/

2. Legislation holds public meetings. (new to me) They are asking for more guys like yourself reading this to show up and voice your opinion. AND if you think your opinion won't matter, you're wrong because I had multiple guys come up to me saying "they are BEGGINNG for guys to come in and speak!!" You young guys as well!
If we want to continue to hunt big mature whitetails, see good numbers and quality hunting we NEED TO ACT NOW!

3. DNR meetings held throughout the state like the one I attended this week. Great information to take in and they need to hear from the hunters as well.

4. Help out at the Iowa Bowhunter Association booth March 3-5th during Iowa Deer Classic to help spread the word! Even if it's for a few hours or a day they could use the help!

5. If you don't want to do any of the options above at least share this with all your buddies. Share a post on social media! Join IBA

Get the word out! That's half the struggle. Most people including myself in the past wouldn't even know this was going on until it was passed.

I'm just your young average Joe that doesn't know a whole lot about this Legislation process, it actually makes my head hurt. Im learning and so can you. If I can do it, ANYONE can!
It's the least we could do for what this great state has given us!!
Please - BEFORE THESE BILLS GET PASSED!!!
Where can we find these legislation meetings?

Top Bottom