Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Do’s & Dont’s of Permission farms….

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve been on both sides of this for decades now…. I was the guy asking for permission to hunt. Begging for permission in many cases. ;). Thought I’d post this for the younger hunters who may have been in my shoes or even a few thoughts/tips. Add to this any thoughts.
Being on both sides…. I’ve got permission on lots of farms over the years. I’ve lost farms over the years. I’ve given permission to hunt a lot of farms for a long time too. Farming, Being around farmers & buddies all day that do give permission- I kinda think I’ve “seen it all”. Here’s a start to some constructive thoughts to keep everyone happy! :). I’ll probably leave out the simple obvious stuff like “don’t drink 52 beers, toss cans all over & do donuts in their corn fields” as I’d suspect we all know the obvious stuff ;).

DO:
-bring the land owner a thoughtful gift (does not need to be expensive)…. Some deer sticks/jerky/meat, gift card, whatever their interest is.
-show up and help with something on farm without asking. Just do it if able. If u ask “call me if u need help” - probably won’t do much. Actively help out & make something happen. Folks actually willing to help a farmer/LO out are very rare. It goes a long ways!!! Give the farmer something to see that u did that fixed an issue or made the farm better (maybe it’s hanging a gate. Maybe it’s building a hundred yards of fence. WHATEVER). If u have skills like mechanics or electrical or whatever - use that to help.
-respect farm to a high degree …. Gates, crops, cows, their neighbors, etc. Tread carefully.
-make their lives easier with u being out there. Make sure stupid stuff isn’t happening & issues created for landowner in any fashion.
-get understanding of how they want it handled with other folks out there. Who else has access. What happens if u find others. Have a constructive conversation in advance so it doesn’t blow up later into some huge drama.
-if it’s older folks or anyone for that matter- spend some time to get to know them. Visit with them when it’s right time. Get to know them & clearly build a relationship if it’s people that u both enjoy visiting with.
-if u r worried the land could be leased from under u for the almighty dollar …. Just throw it out there to talk to before they do that. $ situations stink in some regards but it’s a reality in some cases and just think through this or discuss so the rug isn’t pulled from under u if u could be the one to lease it if it comes to that.

DON’T:
-drive on crop ground. Drive when muddy. Make ruts, compact the soil, etc etc. Stay on established paths & don’t drive on anything if u have any reservations. Clearly close gates even if it’s for a short in/out
-bring the drama to the landowner with issues that are minor or dont involve law breaking. Especially if it’s with another dude that has permission. No landowner wants to hear this stuff & as hunters we all know hunter drama occurs way too much. Just don’t bring “typical” hunter drama to the land owner.
-if it’s busy farmer- don’t take up their time when they going full steam. All farmers have some “stress times” of year. Or days when it’s not going well. It has nothing to do with u but when it’s crazy time- sense it, understand it, help if possible but mainly stay outta the way if it’s crazy time.
-bring a bunch more dudes if LO didnt give anyone but u permission. Common sense but worth repeating.
-have issues with neighbors in any fashion.
-leave any negative sign of you being there.

I suppose most of this is common sense. But sometimes it seems like some common sense items are worth repeating as they seem to happen over & over. The hard core guys on here I’m gonna say “get it”. I’m sure 95% of guys on here can score good permission land & keep it if they keep the LO buttered up, put some work/help/effort into helping their farms/lives & avoid doing STUPID CRAP!!!
That’s my start. What else u guys think???? Examples of what’s happened when folks get kicked off farms or examples of how folks have kept them for a long time???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't have said it better skip. I always earned my hunting privileges by doing anything needed for the landowners, mow, make hay, plumbing issues, electrical issues clean gutters, clean up dead limbs and branches as well as gifts and venison. Been doing that for 30+ years and it paid off.

I would add make it clear if your permission is for the day, week, season, year etc. Plenty of times have had someone ask about pheasant hunting today. Say sure then a few weeks later they are deer hunting. Then they are done forever. Don't justify not asking just because they have let you go before.

- DON'T Promise something and not deliver ( ie: promise to help in the busy season or promise to drop off a few packages of jerky after the season - I've had people promise these things numerous times for being allowed to hunt and ZERO have ever followed through)
- DO ask the landowner if they would like you to kill a few extra does - some do, some don't. I've had guys hunt my land that later told me they saw tons of deer but didn't shoot because they were ONLY after a monster buck - which is not what they said when they got permission.
- DON'T dig layout pits to goose hunt and then not fill them back in - hitting those with the tractor next spring and throwing me into the roof of the tractor is not a good way to keep hunting privileges.
People wonder why it is so hard to get permission to hunt or fish from me - its for things like this happening all the time.

I have a permission property a good friend of mine owns. I’ve hunted out there for over 10 years. I still call or text him every time I hope to come out. He always says yes, and he always tells me how much he appreciates me asking, even though I know the answer.

I guess what I’m getting at is, be super respectful.

I agree with Skip’s and others’ notes above. Probably implied with his comments but never park in front of or block a driveway/gate. You never know when the farmer may want to access that area…

Also, you may lose permission because family dynamics have changed or a relative moved to the area. Be gracious, respectful and thankful and you may get access again someday…

Be respectful. Become a friend, not just hunting season.
Be yourself. If you have a hard time getting permission, it may be because your phoney. Landowners are keen on that.
Stop in/call in the off season.
Good topic by the way.

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
agree with what has been said. Doesn't hurt to stop by & b.s. when your around. Also before & after hunting. Don't just drive in and out, be personable. A lot of landowners that let me hunt like to hear about how it went, what you saw, etc Then they talk about the birds or deer they saw going to church or working ground.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Biggest thing I see is guys get permission one time then never touch base. I had a permission farm and the lady said I was the only one who asked so I should have it all to myself. That rut a guy showed up at my truck as I was loading up after dark. He goes, you ain't hunting my stands are you? I've been hunting here for 10 yrs. I pointed to the lone wolf and sticks in the back of the truck and said no. There were 2-3 other guys that hunted it as well, but they never contacted the landowner. The neighbor also pushed it every shotgun season and hadn't touched base to make sure it was ok in years. Communicate is the biggest thing!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have two permission pieces I have hunted 10+ years.

Every year I always contact the LO to ask for permission for the coming fall. I never just assume I do and show up come season to hunt. Both appreciate that I do that and one has told me I have the run of the property, but I still ask every summer.

Dont let the only time you speak to them be when you ask for permission. If you have a common interest chit chat about. Let them know what you are seeing out there when you hunt every now and then. I will take a little 15 second video with my cell phone every now and then of some deer or turkey going by the stand and send it to them, I think they enjoy seeing whats out there and see that I am enjoying it. Send them a trail cam pic here and there.

Offer to help around the property if they need anything. If they do ask for your help make it a priority, dont push it off to do later, try to get it done asap before they do it themselves or start to wonder when you will. For example one LO one year had a big limb fall in her yard. I noticed it there and just started cleaning it up without being asked. This fall on another property when I went out to check stands before season as I was driving out I spotted a suspicious guy by a barn. Guy made up an excuse that he knew i was there (how, i shut the gate behind me going in) and he wanted to ask if he could fish there. Total b.s., I caught him snooping around the barns red handed. I took video of him walking away down the drive and sent to landowner asap. LO was happy i sent it to him as some things had recently been stolen. LO then asked if he could trim back saplings/brush growing up along the old barns and I told him I would come back after work the next day and do it as i didnt have a saw/weed whacker with me, he said no worries just whenever Im out there next. I made a priority to get it down the following day right after work.

I never leave any trash. Don't leave wrappers, field dressing glove etc. Pick up any trash that you might see, even something super old ( I dont want them to think it was from me and if it was my ground I would pick it up). Clean up after others. One property does have a couple others that hunt. One year they field dressed a deer right at the end of the drive path that goes into the property and left their dirty field dress gloves by the gut pile, I picked them up.

If there is a gate, shut it. Dont leave it open. Even if I am just going in to check my stands straps etc before season and its only going to take 30 minutes I shut the gate when I go in.

I personally dont ask to do anything other than hunt. I probably could ask to foodplot or make paths etc, but I dont. I dont want to be overbearing trying to do to much. If they bring it up thats one thing, but personally I am not going to inquire. I don't ask to ride 4wheelers, camp, target shoot etc.

Keep hunter drama away. If someone else has permission dont go to the LO complaining that so and so put a stand to close to yours or did this or that or hunted a day that you thought it would only be you.

Give them a gift, fuel card, offer any venison, maybe a shed or two.

These are the things I do and it has kept me in good graces for over 10 years on two peices. I just keep it simple, try to stay out of their hair. Put yourself in their shoes and think to yourself how would you want someone to be that you gave permission too.

I’ve reduced the number of hunters on our family farm the last two years significantly.
Here’s what I can say about the folks who lost permission. They showed up once a year to hunt. They had plenty of time to hunt but no time to help work. Most were seldom friendly. They all took permission for granted and did not consider that someone else might take over managing the property someday.
Had any of them showed up occasionally throughout the year, been genuinely friendly and most importantly, offered to help work, the decision would have been different.

Top Bottom