Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Do you guys use buck decoys at this time of year?

The Silence

PMA Member
My friend and I have noticed lately that we're seeing a lot more buck activity such as chasing does, hitting scrapes on an accelerated rate in the last week and we've also seen and heard rubs being made. In light of this activity, I'm thinking about using a buck decoy to try to get another buck's attention. It also seems like our buck /doe ratio is much closer to 50/50 this year. What factors do you guys take into consideration about what time of year and when to use a buck decoy?

I had a 3 year old do the tough guy strut in front of my Montana deke 2 nights ago at 15 yards. Too bad he wasn't a couple years older. Bucks seem plenty amped up already.

Try it and see what happens! I haven't used a decoy much and only used a doe when I have. It's actually a 3d target that came with antlers, but they are huge on the small body, so I haven't used them. I keep thinking I will attach a real antler more proportional to the body size but keep putting it off as I don't use it much anyway (probably due to the weight). I have tried the doe decoy in mid to late October, maybe once in early November. Not much to go on from me.

sampotter said:
I had a 3 year old do the tough guy strut in front of my Montana deke 2 nights ago at 15 yards. Too bad he wasn't a couple years older. Bucks seem plenty amped up already.

Was thinking tonight was still to early for pre rut activity only to have a 3yr grunt like crazy and chase a doe....at the same time only a 2-3yr old! I would definitely think about starting to call and decoys for sure.

Top Bottom