Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Doe with a couple messed up hooves

Matthewfox_45

I shot a doe this morning….noticed she had a front hoof and back hoof that were kinda “wonky”. I thought I’ve heard EHD can cause hoof deformities, is that true? I believe 3 years ago, EHD hit the farm here pretty hard as I found 11 dead deer on 130 acres.

I shot a doe this morning….noticed she had a front hoof and back hoof that were kinda “wonky”. I thought I’ve heard EHD can cause hoof deformities, is that true? I believe 3 years ago, EHD hit the farm here pretty hard as I found 11 dead deer on 130 acres.
That is correct from what I have read and looked at. EHD survivors, typically not many survive, can have hoof issues. From long hooves, completely slugged off hooves etc. The information I have looked into suggest high fevers to be the cause of the hood issues. Pretty common in livestock that endure high fevers for various reasons.

She was a big doe, so hopefully passed on her EHD resistance to her fawns. One hoof was curled up, and the other was half missing. She must’ve been a tough old gal.

Top Bottom