Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Does he look 4 to you?

KSHUNTER

PMA Member
Here is a buck that was all over my farm last year, figured he was 3, had other good bucks to go after, so he got an easy pass.

Fall of 2015
8587-_96039.jpg

He showed back up this fall and I literally have him in a bean field 100 yards from my house every night.

8587-dsc_0220.jpg

Velvet Picture
8587-812201611105.jpg

To me last year he had that perfect rectangle body, that is typical of a 3 year old. Now he looks like his belly is starting to sag, heavier neck, ect.

So just to get other opinions, does he look 4, or was he just 2 last year? I live in a fairly heavy hunted area for rifle season, and I'm really on the fence with him, just don't want to shoot him if he is 3 years old. Last year he was a homebody and stayed on my small farm pretty hard, but with 120 acres I know he travels outside my borders. I would really like to let him walk one more year, but around here that is tuff to do. I love his chocolate rack though!

Thanks

The picture was taken on the 11th of November. I really thought he was 4, but good to get some additional opinions. Last year I had 2 good deer show up on the 12th of November and ran my farm for a week, to bad I was hunting another farm the week they ran it. Seen the wide 8 once from the stand, but then they pretty much disappeared after the rut.

If they would show back up this year I would rather chase either one of them, but hard to pass a 4 year old. Kansas muzzleloader opened today, so I should have an opportunity at him soon as the wind is right. If not then I will see how bow season plays out.

The two from last year:
8587-_844263.jpg

8587-mfdc1922.jpg

I agree. Looks 3 last year, 4 this year. Hopefully those other two roamers show up for you again. I would definitely intend to be on the farm this year that coincides with the weeks they showed up last year.

If they would show back up this year I would rather chase either one of them, but hard to pass a 4 year old.

Just pointing out the obvious and having a little fun BUT.... The buck in your "avatar" of the past- looks gigantic, fully mature and a mammoth beast. SO.... It would "appear" bucks in KS do what bucks in KS tend to do - survive in a lot of cases to become fully mature mammoths. Looks like you've got at least one heck of a slammer in the past so - maybe that makes you think twice about shooting bucks that "are on the fence or not mature". Just a thought. Those things, especially 4 on.... They are survival machines. Never cease to surprise me. 6 years old and older, heck, I don't even consider the faint chance my neighbor shoots em they get so smart (occasionally happens but incredibly rare - it's usually the 2-3 year old good genetic bucks that take a beating in most areas I see). So, all I'm saying, man, looks like you got a stellar set up to take a chance if YOU are on the fence with him. 80 acres in Iowa here has produced mature buck after mature buck for me (yearly and I'd say 60% or more live if I pass em) so I gotta kinda think KS is similar. But, just my 2 cents based on observation and your other mature ones to go after + your past success on OLD big bucks. Putting a little "risk" and "gambling" in the situation is fun to me, I will admit, maybe not to others though. In any case, no matter what you decide - GOOD LUCK!!!

Just pointing out the obvious and having a little fun BUT.... The buck in your "avatar" of the past- looks gigantic, fully mature and a mammoth beast. SO.... It would "appear" bucks in KS do what bucks in KS tend to do - survive in a lot of cases to become fully mature mammoths. Looks like you've got at least one heck of a slammer in the past so - maybe that makes you think twice about shooting bucks that "are on the fence or not mature". Just a thought. Those things, especially 4 on.... They are survival machines. Never cease to surprise me. 6 years old and older, heck, I don't even consider the faint chance my neighbor shoots em they get so smart (occasionally happens but incredibly rare - it's usually the 2-3 year old good genetic bucks that take a beating in most areas I see). So, all I'm saying, man, looks like you got a stellar set up to take a chance if YOU are on the fence with him. 80 acres in Iowa here has produced mature buck after mature buck for me (yearly and I'd say 60% or more live if I pass em) so I gotta kinda think KS is similar. But, just my 2 cents based on observation and your other mature ones to go after + your past success on OLD big bucks. Putting a little "risk" and "gambling" in the situation is fun to me, I will admit, maybe not to others though. In any case, no matter what you decide - GOOD LUCK!!!

That is where I am at with him, if he was on some of my other farms he would be probably be green lighted because of added hunting pressure and less control, but this is my personal farm. Last year he stayed put pretty hard during the rut and especially during rifle season. I bought the farm in 2009 and since then have planted thousands of trees, planted native grass, TSI work, and have 6-7 acres of food plots. I have done my part to try and turn it from a pass through farm to a destination/living farm, and I think it is starting to become just that. I always said that I would be happy shooting a 4 year old every year, but maybe times are a changing!

So I will see what this year brings, at this point I guess he is getting a soft pass, as muzzleloader is open and I know if I would have set the bean field behind my house I would have had an opportunity, and yet I choose to hunt else where. I do appreciate all the feedback, in our area there is not a huge following of deer management, it is more just deer hunting, and everyone thinks I am crazy to pass on a good deer. Thanks for the insight, it will be a better story with all the history if he makes another year. Hopefully he is survivor and can make through the gauntlet.

So I will see what this year brings, at this point I guess he is getting a soft pass, as muzzleloader is open and I know if I would have set the bean field behind my house I would have had an opportunity, and yet I choose to hunt else where. I do appreciate all the feedback, in our area there is not a huge following of deer management, it is more just deer hunting, and everyone thinks I am crazy to pass on a good deer. Thanks for the insight, it will be a better story with all the history if he makes another year. Hopefully he is survivor and can make through the gauntlet.

Sounds to me like one of those deer you kind of just cross your fingers and hope he doesn't give you a chance because if he does he's probably going to get shot:D If you are truly in the fence, you'd be wise to just make a firm decision before you even hunt that area. That way you know what the answer is if he shows up!

Top Bottom