Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Does Iowa DNR Ever Buy Land?

Spysar

I can't remember ever seeing any new public land popping up on the maps ever. Except maybe walk in. With all the crazy new bills to increase opportunity, why don't they do it by buying land? Or maybe they do and I don't know. Where I live on the NY\Mass line, both states have tons of public and they buy more occasionally.

Dang, I just read Skip's post of a bill introduced where they want to sell public land.. Holy crap

yeah all the time. I know of several thousand acres in last couple years. USUALLY what happens is organizations like Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation buys the land and then the DNR buys it incrementally.

I can't remember ever seeing any new public land popping up on the maps ever. Except maybe walk in. With all the crazy new bills to increase opportunity, why don't they do it by buying land? Or maybe they do and I don't know. Where I live on the NY\Mass line, both states have tons of public and they buy more occasionally.
Ha!!!!! The latest coming out of the legislature is selling the public land in iowa!!! World is upside down right now.

Is greed and ridiculous high recreational land prices the main driving factor behind this, and if not, what is?
Conspiracy theory kicking in here, but perhaps "they" don't want non-landowners to have a place to hunt. Insert whatever group of "they" you want and whatever reasoning behind it.

Is greed and ridiculous high recreational land prices the main driving factor behind this, and if not, what is?
What I heard was that young farmers can't find ground to buy, so they could get their start by buying public land. Problem is most of it is not tillable, pasture land at best. Another slant I heard to support the sales is that then the property will be taxed. Think I heard that the state does pay taxes on public lands though, so not sure how much water that argument holds.

What I heard was that young farmers can't find ground to buy, so they could get their start by buying public land. Problem is most of it is not tillable, pasture land at best. Another slant I heard to support the sales is that then the property will be taxed. Think I heard that the state does pay taxes on public lands though, so not sure how much water that argument holds.
Both of those seem awful fishy to me. If either is true, then there's got to be a separate driving force / agenda behind it. I doubt the state wants to eliminate non-landowner deer hunters, but after the craziness of the last few years, I wouldn't rule it out. Greed is still my still my culprit of choice.

Several chunks of river bottom type ground have been made public in Louisa County over the last 10 to 15 years.

My county has been buying what they can- they get pretty good deals and some locals aren’t happy since it’s not being “open sales”. They get it bought but then wait 5 years to actually make it public. Not sure why on that part exactly

I know Poweshiek county has bought parcels that adjoin public lands currently but it has not been of any quality on the small portion that is tillable. I also know they don’t really want more because they don’t have the funding or personnel to manage it like they want to.

Here’s a different approach being used by https://buroaklandtrust.org/properties/ Bur Oak trust. They want landowners to donate ground for them so that they can protect biodiversity. You can apply to bow hunt some of the tracts. Last I heard you submitted an app to hunt for a specific day. If approved, you are only allowed for that day/time, not a multi day or season pass. I know two of the properties, hunted one many many years ago, prior to it being a preserve.

I know of a person who was looking at creating a subdivision and But Oak was interested in all the “rough” ground around the small acreages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about going back to more antlerless only tags. Two problems solved : more nice sized bucks that every manly hunter wants and reduce herd to keep farmers happy about donating all the free feed they provide DNR s deer herd! Not to mention safer roadways.

Most of the public land I hunt was donated. I'd sure hate to seen any of it get sold, in turn getting locked down for hunting.

Wow wouldn’t that suck be nice and donate land to the DNR turn around and sell IT ! Cashing it in for high land prices.Wow what nerve to even suggest that one! Some one needs to loose their job over even bringing that one up.

Farm Bureau stands for so many things that they know are wrong but make great sound bites… “public land takes away from new farmers”. Any variance of that….
Here’s my response to ANY of those crazy statements they make “HEY FARM BUREAU!!! YOU THINK IT COULD BE WEALTHY & CORPORATE FARMERS PAYING $20-$30K PER ACRE IS THE REASON NEW FARMERS HAVE A TOUGH TIME?” & im not knocking wealthy farmers who can buy land at a 1-2% ROI while a new farmer can’t. But…. To attack: CRP, wetlands, public land, etc etc …. It never adds up. FB borderlines on an organization that will say or do anything for their self interests. Even when we know it’s wrong or misguided. When the state won’t buy new public land or the state wants to sell public land- thank farm bureau & the slick lawyers & lobbyists that put out this garbage.

My county board of supervisors (mahaska) last year wanted to lease the county conservation owned land to farmers. They wanted the lease money and where going to charge the property tax rate as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom