Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dogs

I thought they were coyote dogs too, but he said he’s “part of the Iowa coonhunters association, so we can’t leagally shoot them” his words not
Mine. Most the time those collars on these dogs aren’t working. We’ve made one disappear couple years ago and a week later 3 more were back.

I think Iowa enhanced the penalty for shooting a dog wearing a collar, FWIW.

Put the collar in a gallon size ziploc freezer bag, inflate, seal, toss in local creek. Man, I’m evil.

The pound idea and having other hound hunters visit him are better options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You gotta do what you gotta do. Last year my son ended up shooting the neighbors dog. Logan was at his moms house at the time. He didn’t want to shoot the dog, but he had no choice. The dog showed up 2 other times and had killed over 30 of their chickens. Logan caught the dog tearing into the chicken coup again, and as a 14 year old he made an executive decision, which I supported wholeheartedly.The neighbor was warned repeatedly and did nothing. Logan felt horrible. He cried afterwards. It was not a good situation.

Different situations, but unfortunately I see the same outcome.

I have a neighbor whose dogs are constantly in my cameras and I lightly mentioned it and he stated that’s what dogs do…I then started getting pictures daily and even some with them and the deer in the same picture. I politely asked him to keep them on his property so he then proceeded to tell everyone around I threatened to shoot/steal his dogs and his livestock. I’ve started receiving threatening PM’s through FB, etc from his family and some of the locals….I talked to the Co who said their was nothing legally I could do but that there was also nothing he could do legally if I shot them. I told him I have no intentions of shooting someone’s dogs…..You can’t fix some of the redneck trash mentality that some people have. On a side note, I lease this property and have had pictures of 6+ trespassers, even one guy hunting in one of my stands 3-4 times. When I’ve confronted these people they just continue to spread lies locally and send me messages saying I don’t own the entire neighborhood. I literally can’t make this stupidity up…they are pissed they get called out for trespassing

U put your own dog down for wandering off with the neighbors dog from time to time? There were no other alternatives?......
Seems around here once that starts it just gets worse. It was a long time ago and I wasn't prepared for what was going to happen once that other dog showed up. They were up to no good and I did what I thought was my responsibility, not my neighbor's.

Thanks for all the input. Gonna nag the local CO and sheriff more often about it and got the lobbyists number in Des Moines for the Iowa coon hunters assoc. we’ll see what happens

Guys, I know how frustrating it can be to have free roaming dogs run but please keep in mind, these are most likely family pets.
There is a time for SSS but all other methods should be tried first.
Also, unless the dogs are actively chasing deer, it's really not the end of the world.

Good luck I think you are one the right track. There will be some upset people if he's throwing around the I'm a member of the Iowa Coonhunters association I can do what I want type of attitude. I've been a member as well for a long time and I know there are people in that organization trying hard to fix this type of mentality. Unfortunately like stated earlier you just can't fix stupid. Whether it's hounds or farm pets it's a pain in the rear and I get it. Been there.

I had issues with neighbors dogs last year, I sent them trail camera pictures and sent messages. All three came to rattling horns one morning, I set three coyote leg sets the next day, caught one a couple days later.

Foot was pretty bad, made neighbor come get it, they weren't mad, just said hated seeing them locked up. Told them I also had snares set for coyotes, I didn't, but the issue stopped that day.

Nothing illegal about snares, sounds like you have tried pretty hard to give them all the chances needed.

I had issues with neighbors dogs last year, I sent them trail camera pictures and sent messages. All three came to rattling horns one morning, I set three coyote leg sets the next day, caught one a couple days later.

Foot was pretty bad, made neighbor come get it, they weren't mad, just said hated seeing them locked up. Told them I also had snares set for coyotes, I didn't, but the issue stopped that day.

Nothing illegal about snares, sounds like you have tried pretty hard to give them all the chances needed.
If I were in the OPs shoes, I'd consider taking this one last step before dispatching the dogs. I've never been much of a supporter of asking others (e.g. coon hunters association) to 'influence' or lean on someone for me. That gets way too many people involved. Gets too political. Can take a LONG time to produce results. And rarely produces any results anyway.

I look at it this way, I bought the land for me to hunt not the neighbors dogs. I guess I'm pretty cold hearted. I would give them a chance to remedy the situation and if they didn't take care of it, well you can figure the rest out. One other thing I noticed pics of coon hounds are during the day. You hunt coons at night.

I look at it this way, I bought the land for me to hunt not the neighbors dogs. I guess I'm pretty cold hearted. I would give them a chance to remedy the situation and if they didn't take care of it, well you can figure the rest out. One other thing I noticed pics of coon hounds are during the day. You hunt coons at night.

I agree and just love the “that’s what farm dogs do” mentality. No, that’s what ignorant dog owners let their dogs do!

A few years back I was vice president of the coonhunters association. Please contact me and I will do my part to get this person to be persuaded to be responsible. There's most of us hound hunters that try to do things the right way. It takes one idiot to turn every one against the rest.

A few years back I was vice president of the coonhunters association. Please contact me and I will do my part to get this person to be persuaded to be responsible. There's most of us hound hunters that try to do things the right way. It takes one idiot to turn every one against the rest.
I don't think anybody has anything against coon hunters, or dog owners, or even dogs in general when this sort of thing happens. Not even these particular dogs. Dogs are just going to do what dogs are allowed to do. This particular dog owner sounds like a real turd though, and his dogs might be dispatched as a direct result of his turdiness.

Guy is a turd 100%. You should see some of his text messages. Can’t fix his fence panels cuz he’s waiting on stimulus check - that’s why they keep getting out. We get pics in middle of night too btw

I had neighbors like that. Bring home whole litter of pups and let them run wild. They had a beagle that ran so hard it starved to death. Too bad you can’t SSS the owners. You have more patience than alot of people with this problem

Good luck, tough situation to be in, been in it before. Telling the owner you're running a line of snares and 220 conibares might help.

Top Bottom