Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Don Higgins?

loneranger

Has anyone heard of Don Higgins. He is supposed to be a whitetail article writer, and large buck expert. He has a new book out,"Trophy Whitetail Hunting in the Real World". Anyone read it? Sounds interesting. You can read about the book at www.higginsoutdoors.com

I had the pleasure of meeting Don thru a mutual friend (and seeing his trophy collection at his home,
bigshock.gif
) while hunting near there last season in Illinois. Nice guy, and someone who really knows big bucks and how to hunt them!

His book is definetly worth reading!
waytogo.gif

Don does some stories for North American Whitetail. His articles are very interesting and informative. Love reading articles by him and Bill Winke as well !!

Very informative. Love the fact that he appears to be a 'ordinary guy' who, through hard work and sacrifices, has become a extraordinary hunter of mature whitetails.

No 'BS'in this book...calls things like he sees them
waytogo.gif

I like his articles. I won't say that I've learned anything by them as hunting the midwest and Canada is completely different but I will say that I've observed some of the same things he has regarding October hunting. They are well written and he comes across as "real".

i own his book and really enjoy reading it. he has killed some monsters, and knows his stuff

Probably my favorite outdoor writer.

Much less self-promotion and down to earth information.
waytogo.gif

His past and present success on mature bucks is proof he knows what he is talking about.
grin.gif

I think it would be a book worth buying. I read numerous article by Don, and always take something from them. My favorite quote for bowhunting whitetails is one of his from his last article in NAW. "Hunt a wind that is almost right for him (mature buck) and a wind that is almost wrong for you." The only thing that bugs me about Don is that he never smiles in his pictures, and almost has a pissed off look. If you don't want to be in the picture, then just take a picture of the buck.

I actually just mailed a check for his book about two days before this post. Thought it might be a good off-season read while by NAW subscription goes off for a few months. I am looking forward to gaining some new insights on how to improve my skills in the competitive tracts that I hunt each fall.

Top Bottom