Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Done deal!!!

baggin_bucks

I closed on our new timber today. I would love to go in and mow some paths because it is so thick but I'm not sure if I want to do it this close to bow season. Do you think it will affect the deer to much or is a couple of months enough time for them to get settled in and start using the trails?

I'd personally mow a couple key trails right away then let it cool off till season. You need to be able to get in and out quietly and get some stands up.

Just don't over do it. Congrats!

Mow it! Deer will adopt the paths immediately. As long as you don't walk them every day before season, you will be alright.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mow it! Deer will adopt the paths immediately. As long as you don't walk them every day before season, you will be alright. </div></div>

Ditto.... path of least resistance.... deer are as lazy as us /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

We actually go in the first few days of November after most of the leaves have fallen and mow our trails with a lawn mower to make a silent entry to some of our stands. This has no noticable effect on seeing mature deer.

A few years ago I had a bulldozer remake a trail through the timber to reconnect to a large field at the top of the hill and the deer, including mature bucks, were on that bare dirt a day or two later. I wold mow it now and not worry about it.

Personally, I think you would disturb things more by walking around the timber than running machinery through it. Deer seem to adapt pretty quickly to tractors and so forth.

Top Bottom