Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Done With An Incredible Season!

THA4

A Few Steps Ahead Of You
The other day when I posted about our Nebraska hunts, I really didn't think I'd get lucky enough to write this post. I do complain a lot about things not going my way, which they typically don't. But, this year was different--Things actually went my way. :grin: No complaining here! :drink2:

This year was spectacular! I shot my personal best turkey, and killed birds in three states, including Iowa.

I got up today at 3:45 am for the 7th day in a row hoping that I could get a quick hunt in before I had to work at 8.

The first two attempts didn't go well, got close to a bird on the roost but managed to bump another one off in the process that ruined that spot. The next was a bust.

At 7:35, I spotted a single longbeard a LONG ways off into a pasture we just got permission on and it was set up perfectly for another Widow-Maker stalk. I had less than half an hour, so I figured "what the heck."

With nothing to loose I crept around the dome of the hill and sat down next to a big oak. Two yelps into the first series, he cut me off. Three more times he did the same. This went on for 10 minutes and I was running out of time... And he wasn't moving...

7:43 I grabbed my fan-on-a-stick and crept up the hill towards where he was gobbling. I could hear him spitting and drumming and looked through the middle two feathers of my fan to see him doing the "Mad Walk" right at me.

With literally NO time to waste, I put his beak in the dirt at 20 yards through fogged-up glasses. :grin:

I grabbed the turk--still flopping--and literally ran back to the truck... OK, walked really fast... :moon:

Managed to be in the office by 8:05 sending off the first email! :grin: Talk about down to the wire! I'll take it! Thanks for reading all these posts this year, doubt I'll have another like it!

#blessed

:way:

Bird weighed 27 lbs. (second heaviest of my life) 7/8-inch spurts and a 9-inch beard.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

My favorite one! :grin:
picture.php

Last edited:
good job, buddy! happy you went out with a bang for both deer and turkey in IA! now time to get settled in and chase some toothy critters this summer :{)

Congrats on a big bird. Now go buy a lottery ticket.Its not really luck when you stay after them. Never give up.

Congrats, especially on sticking with it, even with only a few minutes left to try.

I know the scramble of recovering your critter, pictures and getting the animal skinned and on ice, while you are expected somewhere else.

Congrats again my friend. Good luck in Mn. Be sure to swing by next time youre back visiting your parents! I may have a beer or three for ya ;)

DUDE! You have had an amazing season. A few years back, I didn't think you could kill anything....and now, you're slaying monster whitetails and every turkey across the country! :D

Way to go man. I'm happy for you. :way:

Top Bottom