Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Don't Understand Party Hunting

I agree to a point. It is hard to swallow it when someone calls them self a hunter when they hunt one weekend a year, takes three practice shots a year. Says its brown its down etc.........

I've only party hunted once its not for me. But that doest mean I want take take it away from the people that do it. There are people that don't agree with the way I hunt and I hope they don't want to take it away from me.

This is my last post on this subject :)

Don't confuse party hunters and guys doing crazy deer drives chasing deer with trucks ect....

Our group "Party" hunts and we have a good time every year, and rarely ever partake in the pracices you all are talking about with the deer drives. The "Party" hunting is allowing the sharing of tags. We do this by hunting in stands. We have a few sets where we can see eachother, 60 or so yards apart to 100 yards apart. We sit and wait them out. We hunt a big block of timber that is impossible to push. Butts up against a public ground, we wait until the hunters of the public ground do enough moving around to get the deer moving and get our deer. Last year for instance my buddy shot 3 deer and I never had a shot at any of them. i was close enough to watch him shoot all three, and the "Party" hunting allowed me to tag one of them. It sucks that a few bad apples ruin the bunch. The only times we have done drives is when we haven't had any action, or it is so cold sitting we want to walk, and then we have a few small private timber draws we push and thats all.

Last edited:
All that party hunting during shotgun season means is that you can shoot a deer and put someone elses tag on it,as long as they are hunting in your group.Even if they did away with party tags do you think people still wouldnt go out and do deer drives.I know people that do that during early muzzy season late muzzy season and even bow season.Most of the complaints im hearing are about group hunting doing deer drives.Im pretty sure that milo hanson was doing a deer drive when he killed the world record.I dont care if you bowhunt,gun hunt,mushroom hunt,or shed hunt.there are bad apples in all of them.I know a guy near me that drives around in the fall and locates big bucks.Then come bow season he hunts them.He dont ask permission,He just goes and hunt wherever he wants.If he gets caught he pays his little fine and keeps hunting.The dnr know him very well.Last year my buddy caught him hunting on his land.He also has a wall full of trophy deer.That doesnt mean that all bowhunters are bad.I know plenty of party hunters that are great guys and dont trespass.So because of a few bad seeds they shouldnt be able to hunt the way that they choose.

Deer drives is not against the law! Many people shotgun hunting; muzzleloader hunting, and bowhunting do drives every year. Party hunting simply means you can shoot as many deer as you have in your party at the time of the hunt. I grew up around party hunting, and i enjoy it yet to this day. Our deer herd evolved around party hunting with shotguns after the primary rut. I see nothing wrong with this practice, and i believe we can thank this practice for the quality hunting we enjoy today. I know there are many of you who are younger, and believe you have evolved into the ultimate hunter because you hunt your quarry one on one. Don't kid yourself! If it wasn't for the efforts of landowners and responsible hunters; you would be spending countless hours watching squirrels from your ambush spot instead of quality deer. I am proud to be among the ranks of all deer hunters. We need to stick together.

i just have a supreme distaste for the gun season in general mostly becuase of all the lawless turds that think they can go anywhere.. I dont like deer drives, even though thats what i grew up with because they result in alot of young deer getting killed and it just makes the late season a heck of alot tougher. but as long as its legal and your obeying the laws and on your own land go ahead and go for it, but just dont go crossing fences

not all hunt like that.
but unfortunatly it does happen, that what gives it such a bad name.

He probably had an antlerless only tag. Which I guess would be legal ,right?
i have herd that some people are now buying an antlerless tag for shotgun season and then pooling tags with buddies so they have a shot at an additional buck. Then they go and get their buck tag for muzzy season.
hmmm just doesnt seem quite right????

i have herd that some people are now buying an antlerless tag for shotgun season and then pooling tags with buddies so they have a shot at an additional buck. Then they go and get their buck tag for muzzy season.
hmmm just doesnt seem quite right????

I buy an anysex tag for bow and one for late muzz.. I buy an antlerless tag for shotgun hunting.. haven't shot an antlered buck with a shotgun since 2006 I think.. if the opportunity arises that I have a chance at a nice buck then iwill take it.. I don't think most people shotgun hunt because they want that extra tag to kill a big buck.. if that were the case, they would quit shooting the small ones

I buy an anysex tag for bow and one for late muzz.. I buy an antlerless tag for shotgun hunting.. haven't shot an antlered buck with a shotgun since 2006 I think.. if the opportunity arises that I have a chance at a nice buck then iwill take it.. I don't think most people shotgun hunt because they want that extra tag to kill a big buck.. if that were the case, they would quit shooting the small ones

I do the same as you. As long as it's legal I will continue to do it. There is 3-4 of us in a group and we do small drives. We have an absolute blast and usually shoot a few does in the process. I haven't shot a buck with a shotgun in 8-9 years but if the opportunity arises I will. I don't think of it as another chance to kill a buck. Just another chance to enjoy the outdoors with friends.:way:

Top Bottom