Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Don't Understand Party Hunting

ksbooner

Just got done watching the show Whitetail Freaks and Jeremy Putnam had his girlfriend get a tag and he shot the deer with her in the blind during late muzzleloader season and she tagged it with a party tag.

This seems like a bad loophole.

How many tags can a guy fill party hunting with other peoples liscenses (as long as they are with them).

Doesn't seem like a good rule in my opinion.

I'm assuming it was gun season BUT they were using Muzzleloaders, can't transfer late ML season. I see both sides of this one and can see where the rule gets twisted for sure. Thankfully it's a minor problem VS a lot of other ones out there IMO.

for shotgun it's a good thing (if not abused). just think if you could only shoot a deer and tag it yourself, shoot one, then you might as well go to the house and watch football. meanwhile your fellow hunters are trying to get a deer but because you already shot a deer your not there to help. so go help push or something and the new state record buck walks past you at 20yds. probably be wishing you could use a buddies tag to shoot that buck!!
there are a number of ways this works, but with only a few days to get a deer during shotgun season, this helps alot.

if you want to get right down to it. if you had 50 guys with anysex deer tags during the shotgun seasons 1 guy could shoot ALL 50 deer. even if they are all buck. it would be one hell of a taxidermy bill!!!

shotgun season

The shotgun season party hunting is a legal loophole, but if it is legal, I will take advantage of it. Nothing going on in December in MN, except hunted pressured deer and early ice fishing, so might as well??

for shotgun it's a good thing (if not abused). just think if you could only shoot a deer and tag it yourself, shoot one, then you might as well go to the house and watch football. meanwhile your fellow hunters are trying to get a deer but because you already shot a deer your not there to help. so go help push or something and the new state record buck walks past you at 20yds. probably be wishing you could use a buddies tag to shoot that buck!!
there are a number of ways this works, but with only a few days to get a deer during shotgun season, this helps alot.

Great point since that is how a lot gun hunt anyways.

Party hunting in Iowa has deep roots, steeped in tradition. I don't see it going away and I don't have a problem with it (when it is legally done). I only did it a few years when I started deer hunting and decided it wasn't for me. My BIL loves it because of the camaraderie of family and friends, which means almost as much as getting a deer to him. Different strokes for different folks.

I despise party hunting because I'm a firm believer if you took the party hunting away you would see a decrease in guys running rampant during gun season.. less wild mobs doing whatever they please, I for one would love to see them put a kibosh to the party hunting and if not at least deer drives

Party hunting will never go away just to bad it couldnt be tweeked. Drive them for a week for does only. and another week you can still use your gun just not push anything.

How is it fair chase when 20-30 guys can surround and push out a buck even if only one either sex tag remains. Usually there is good snow cover so even if the buck gets thru once they just regroup and keep after him. If he goes onto property they dont have permission for, some will just send someone in unarmed for a "cripple" to get the deer back out to the gauntlet.I agree alot of shotgun hunters would not know how to kill a good buck if they could not drive them.

i have grown up pushing deer with shotgun, love it. but i also hate the ones that go out and take 20 or more people and throw slugs everywhere, or even worse chase with pickups like they are coyote hunting. it gives it a bad name! if you would do it like we have for the past 17yrs. you would have fun!. i also bow hunt and it is a whole different ball game, so i do see why some are against pushing.

My Dad and I party hunt, I have a blast doing it. He pushes and I sit and wait. My first year hunting we did it with about 19 other guys and it wasn't as fun because one guy would get 2-3 Deer and people would have to give him a tag. Although, only 6 guys (including my Dad and I) ended not getting anything. They finished opening day.

tph- I can agree with you that done right forced movement can be alot of fun when deer are not cooperating. Over the years we have had some great hunts with our bows, one or two guys on stand in a timber waiting while another one or two guys gently get the deer up from another timber and move them over. When they get to the next timber they would stop watch their backtrail and present a good clean standing shot. Nothing wrong with that, gun or bow. What I hate is like you said, the guys too lazy to walk, driveing their trucks and 4 wheelers all over chaseing deer while the rest of the guys are lined up on the road throwing slugs at every buck they see at whatever distance, while they are running as hard as they can.Thats why we all find so many dead heads in the spring shedhunting.

Thats a heck of a way to teach a kid to hunt. Some greedy s.o.b. piles up the deer and expects the kid to give up his tag. The guy probably had a stack of yearling bucks for you all to give him tags for did'nt he.

6x6, the guy that took my tag gave me the rack and meat. He just shot it because nobody else had a shot. He killed 4 Deer (the most out of everyone) another guy killed 2 and another guy killed 2. It was still fun, although I think I'll like Bow hunting more.

I for one have had my fill of watching worthless turds run deer with trucks and quads and running all over every property they come across. Not to mention the complete lack of ethics these guys display by shooting at deer that are far away and running with nothing more than a bird barrel and a cheap box of slugs. Hell i caught a guy by our place near Tingley shooting out of his window at a doe in our field while my 13 year old brother sat in a tree stand beyond where he was shooting. If you ever want to give the antis ammo have them come to iowa during the first couple weeks in december. sorry for the rant but it just makes me sick.

Lets remeber were all hunters and on the same team.

There are a few people bowhunting and gun huntering that make us look bad. Lets not try to make us all look bad.

Sorry Cooter but there are way more than a few of these type of one week out of the year deer "hunters". After they have pushed everything they have, they drive the fencelines of private ground, sending slugs up the hollows thru the trees, to get the deer up and out. Pretty scarey when you are sitting with your kids. I really dont see a problem pointing these slobs out. If you dont thats just condoning it.

Top Bottom