Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dormant seeding switch/big blue

Ok warm season gurus. I took the bait and followed Jeff Sturgis’ recommendation: that one can frost seed switch in October. Being that I didn’t want to do it during the rut, I watched temperatures and saw soils were holding in the mid 40s with the long range outlook cold. So I seeded (drilled) on October 17. Soils have only gotten to 50 once during that time. However, now with this warm stretch (6 days 60s or higher, lows in the mid to high 40s) I’m wondering if the switch and big blue I planted will end up germinating. Part of me doesn’t care, since I’ve planted switch and big blue in June and the stuff didn’t blink for 3 weeks and the temps were 80 or higher. But the research does say switch will germinate at soils of 50 or above if exposed to these temps for two weeks. Anyone have any experience with this? Just want to avoid more planting in the Spring. Thanks all.

I would personally think you are fine. I would not replant and wait for June next year to see what happens , obviously get pre -emerge down in early spring , Did you drill into killed sod or crop stubble. ? Year before is the key ..

Late to the party here, but my sense is that you will be OK too and agree with JBohn above.

I think u r fine as well.
how many acres??? If it’s not a lot of acres.... I’d go grab some CIR, sunburst or kanlow or combo.... frost seed any amount. Even a few lbs per acre.

then u have ur spray bomb or bombs..... Gly/ams, 2,4-d & heavy atrazine or Simazine. One spray around mid may or so- later better but before soil gets too warm. Be ready to come back with quinclorac + meth seed oil & even some more atrazine or simazine.
I think u fine but lil extra seed insurance spread would be nice if doable.

Top Bottom