Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Double Bull Success

mole

What a weekend. My 04 season started Saturday afternoon. I set out at 3:15 to harvest a doe, by 3:40 I was settled into my stand and ready for the evening to begin. At 4:00 I saw my first deer the stayed just out of range. Then at 4:18 I heard a noise to my right and saw a big doe coming up the trail. I stopped her at 15 yards, squeezed off the shot and 40 minutes later was standing over my first harvest of the year, Not bad for less than a hour in stand.

Sunday was day two of my short lived season. My oldest son wanted to go hunting, so we loaded up the pack with lots of food and drink and we were off to the double bull blind in search of a big buck. After the first hour I soon realized that I was going have to ration the intake of sweets or we were doomed to run out to soon. At 4:20 we began to see deer appear. My son soon changed his mind and was ready for Dad to shoot any deer.

My son was getting anxious, when we saw the first shooter of the night step out. The problem was he was over 175 yards away and traveling in the wrong direction. His disappointment soon changed when a doe with triplets step out 40 yards from the blind. Again the pressure was on Dad to shoot the doe. As I intently watched the doe and fawns, my son began to say quite loudly Dad, its a big buck, not wanting to get too excited I slowly looked over my shoulder and was surprised to see a big deer stepping out into the field. I quickly looked him over with the binoculars and deemed him worthy of a shot. It took approximately 5 nerve racking minutes for the buck to close the needed 20 yards to give me a shot. After several checks with the range finder, I drew and settled the pin behind his shoulder. As I squeezed the trigger I watched the arrow sink behind his shoulder. I knew we got him. I told my son to watch him as he ran, he stopped 40 yards from the blind and his back legs began to stumble. Then it happened, he went down right in front of the blind at 40 yards. After several high fives, hugs and kisses we were out of the blind standing over the best buck I have ever shot.

Once we were home and the deer was hanging in the shop, I realized I might have his left side shed from the previous year. After digging through the box I found it. It amazes me how much a deer can grow in just one year. This is by far the most rememberable hunt I have ever had. Not only for the deer harvested, but also for the time spent with my son. We had more fun playing games in the blind, eating treats, and just talking. I hope and pray that all kids get a chance to spend time like this with their parents.

Pictures are coming. I can't get my mac at work to accept the digital pictures. The buck has a typical 135" frame, but has split a G-2, G-3 on the right side. He also has a split brow on the left and ws starting to spilt the G-4's on both sides. Haven't scored him yet, he's at the taxidermist. By far my best buck, lots of character and I can't beat the memories.

mole

Sounds like that was an unbeatable hunt in many ways. Congrats to you and your son!
grin.gif

Nice JOB!! I bet it will be a hunt you never forget nor will your son.
My son turns 1 this month and I can't wait until he is old enough to go out with me.

Way to go Mole!!
applause.gif
sounds like a picture perfect day all around. Appears you got the youngster hooked too
waytogo.gif

WOW! That is a great story. WOW! what memories you've created this weekend. WOW! Show me the pictures.
waytogo.gif

Wow! I can't imagine a better story. Nothing better than spending time in the blind with your kids. The big buck was simply a bonus! Congratulations again.

NWBuck

That's a really cool buck, and that's so awesome that you were able to get him with your son there. Congratulations Mole!
smile.gif

Thanks for all the kind words. And a big thanks to Rudd for getting the pictures to work and for the extra bottle of Ghost Spray, I owe you big time. My son is definitely hooked. My problem is I'm soon to be the proud father of baby number 5. Its going to be difficult to get all of my kids in the blind with me
grin.gif

Son # 2 gets to go this coming weekend, I still have the state wide tag to fill. Should be a lot of fun. Two more years and my daughter gets to go, (wife and I set a 5 year age limit).

If you have kids take them hunting, you'll never regret it. I struggled buying a double bull blind due to the price, but it has been the best hunting investment I have ever made.

Thanks again and I can't wait to start seeing the big boys role in.

mole

Nice Buck and more importantly time well spent with your family. I can't wait until my son is 5 and we're out doing the same.
smile.gif

What a story and awesome pictures!!! Mole you have had a hunt you and your son will never forget!!!!!!!! That is sooooooooooo coooooool!
beerchug.gif

Great job Mole and nice buck. It seems my two year old son is growing up right before my eyes. I can not wait to share the hunting experience with him like you did with your son. Great story and hunt!!!
applause.gif

Top Bottom