Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Double Drop

BriarwoodBottoms

4172-_573401.jpg

I was having a heck of a time getting pictures to post. I have had no trouble in the past so I never gave any info on this buck in the first post hoping the picture would work. Here's my story. I was driving the other day and looked over and saw some deer bedded not too far off the road. I swore I saw a double drop so I quick turned around to verify, sure enough I was right. The spot I saw him was in a forest preserve I used to walk for sheds. 3 or so years ago they started sharpshooting the area and the deer sightings went way down. I drive by the area everyday to and from work. So basically I gave up on this area due to the sharpshooting and increase in other shedders. Having kids didn't help either. So this buck was all I could think about so I decided I needed a picture of him. The forest preserve claims cameras aren't illegal to use but they take them down if they find them ( I know from previous experience). You can go to there main office and get your camera back with no repercussions, the whole thing makes no sense but whatever. So I pick a spot put a little treat in front of the camera to speed the process up. I decide to check it every couple of days because I'm afraid someone will steal it, I'm also afraid if someone sees what I'm doing I'm going to get my butt in trouble. It only took 5 days to get some great pictures so mission accomplished. There is also a big 8 hanging out with him. I will try and post some other pics. I guess I better start shedding this place again! Sorry for the long winded rant

Yea thats a dream set of sheds to find right there! The 8 is a dandy too! In the pic with 3 deer, the one with no antlers looks like a BIG body deer! wonder if that's a shed buck already. Looks huge

Yea thats a dream set of sheds to find right there! The 8 is a dandy too! In the pic with 3 deer, the one with no antlers looks like a BIG body deer! wonder if that's a shed buck already. Looks huge

That's my guess, but OP can probably confirm that with other pics? Nice pics, and I'd definitely get after those sheds. Hopefully he doesn't get pushed from the area before shedding. Btw, can you hunt that or neighboring property?

man oh man. Any chance you can "bump" that deer onto a huntable piece of ground? I cant imagine what he will look like next year.

Yes there is a half rack 8 hanging around too. The big bodied deer is an old gray faced buck that has shed obviously, his bases look like they have been healed over for quite some time to me. Was thinking he has been shed for awhile now. There isn't much huntable ground anywhere near this spot. Only spot I could possibly hunt him is on the golf course I work at and we don't have very much cover to hold deer. Deer move through my course but always at night for obvious reasons. I'm going to try and keep tabs on these deer with some long range glassing. It is a pretty popular spot for dog walkers on the trail system. Trail is pretty far from where these deer seem to hang out. 5-8 of snow coming Sunday so that will help keep the casual shedders out for awhile. I hope to post some atl's on the shed forum, going to be tough to find for a lot of reasons but I'm sure in hell going to try.

Top Bottom