Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dried Venison (Deer)

Ishi

PMA Member
Dried Venison (Deer)

This is a simple recipe and by following the very important basic steps great results will be achieved.
I’ve cured many football shaped roasts and the middle never seemed to get cured enough even though they were under 2 1/2 inches thick. If I ever cure the football shaped roasts again I will use the wet cure method and injection. The back straps make the best Dried Venison IMO.
First weigh your meat and use

1 TBS of Tender Quick per lb of venison

1 to 1 1/4 TBS of Brown Sugar per lb of venison

Fareway has the cure in the spice section
a57bb78e3a41eba2689517c0564981f8.jpg

Less sugar makes it more salty more sugar makes it more sweet. I like 1 TBS of Brown Sugar the best.

With using the Tender Quick Cure never cure meat over 2 1/2 inches thick.
After the meat is weighed and ingredients are ready take a heavy ziplock bag and roll the edge over to keep the cure out of the zipper so it won’t leak while in the fridge. Now after the air is out put the bag in another bag with the zipper on the opposite end which will help if the first bag leaks ( the women get crazy mad if the bags leaks in the fridge)

66d224dbcc98afdd93bde3fede1cc38f.jpg

Now let the meat cure for 7-8 days and flip the bag daily and cure under refrigeration at 37-39 degrees.
After the 7-8 day cure rinse the meat very well under the faucet for several minutes then pat dry with paper towels. Now season the meat if you like or leave it plain and place in fridge uncovered for 1-2 days to dry out ( smoke and water don’t mix).
a2deed307ebd5c14e5aa2266b308a1bb.jpg

After the 1-2 day drying time smoke the meat at 180- 200 degrees till it reaches 155- 160 degrees then let it cool and wrap with Saran Wrap and place in the fridge for 1 day to let the flavors mingle.
Now slice and enjoy.

a0b5c265972bf018d1d360dd04e46fdc.jpg

8ba50b70d1933e9a3c4ad08113fd2bce.jpg

807889efb0c76c2fbf7bd2016e267e0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Ishi on using the backstraps for the best dried. Next best cut would be eye of round. I use the same proportions of brown and tender quick.

Has anyone ever tried this with turkey breast?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Yes I have but the turkey was cured in a wet brine for over two weeks. In the wet brine it has regular sugar and brown sugar. Either way it’s cured wet or dry I’d cook it till it reaches safe temps. Cured turkey tastes very much like ham.
In the original Let’s Eat!!! thread I had the recipe for wet curing so if anyone wants it I can post it again!

Top Bottom