Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drones

doublebrow

"You Cant Fix Stupid"
does anyone know the law if it is illegal to scout your ground with drones before season? also what about during season like before you walk in if you didnt wanna bump a big deer by your stand could u fly ur drone by the stand check things out if everything looks ok go in? It seems like alot of work but could be worth not spooking a big boy

This outta he interesting ha . Drones are louder than most people think and also you need quite a bit of coin on one to get a live feed of the camera .

Call your conservation officer and ask.

My personal opinion is that would be taking technology too far and taking the fun out of hunting, but too each their own.

My sense is that the laws on the books now may be a little behind the times in the sense that no one knew about drones when they were written. If I were to guess, I think there may be some language added in the future to clarify how and where drones are used. I agree with Muddy in that my feeling is that we would be taking technology too far to use drones to essentially scout out a field or timber prior to entering it, etc.

I do think it would be neat to fly a drone over my farm so as to have an aerial overview, but I would not be comfortable using one on the day of a hunt, etc.

My personal opinion is that would be taking technology too far and taking the fun out of hunting, but too each their own.

Agree with this. Not a fan myself, fences and signs will not stop them. Besides being out in the woods is the fun part, along with the hit or miss part of chasing a giant.

I agree taking it too far. I don't even fully agree with trail cams that send pics to your phone...not much different there than using phones or radios to track game...and pretty sure that's still illegal.

Just got back from Vacation in the Black Hills and twice we saw people flying drones illegally - once over a buffalo herd in Custer Park and one around the Needles near Rushmore. Signs are posted everywhere stating it is illegal but they were doing it anyway. I foresee more regulations coming limiting their use as people are being stupid in the way they use them.

Just got back from Vacation in the Black Hills and twice we saw people flying drones illegally - once over a buffalo herd in Custer Park and one around the Needles near Rushmore. Signs are posted everywhere stating it is illegal but they were doing it anyway. I foresee more regulations coming limiting their use as people are being stupid in the way they use them.

Wow, I hadn't considered that as a possibility ^^. But just imagine if some dope was flying a drone over the buffalo and started a stampede or something...it would be plausible in my mind. Having been to Custer myself I could see where that could be a big problem...and fast!

What happened to the good Ol days where hunters had to rely on being a good woodsmen to hunt and be successful. The new generation is always looking for the easy way out:rolleyes: We as hunters need to ask how easy does it have to be in order to be successful?

I've had exactly 0 experience with a drone so my thought could be wrong...but how well can you 'scout' by flying a drone over? Maybe I don't realize their level of video feed but it doesn't seem to me that it would be that useful besides possibly checking to see if anything was in a field.

I've had exactly 0 experience with a drone so my thought could be wrong...but how well can you 'scout' by flying a drone over? Maybe I don't realize their level of video feed but it doesn't seem to me that it would be that useful besides possibly checking to see if anything was in a field.

They have 4K video feed better than your TV quality i'm guessing. They are unreal if you are good at flying them I dont have one but have a couple farmer buddies that do for crops and it would be too much I agree but would be cool!

I fly one at work sometimes to scout our crop fields among other things including doing population estimates and densities of our deer herd in the winter. Ours has a live feed 4k camera that is crystal clear. As stated before it is much louder than most people realize. It sounds like a very large bumblebee and can be heard from hundreds of feet away. You could easily see if there were deer in the field, however I think it would be tough to get close enough to a deer to identify it being a specific buck without spooking the deer. I wouldn't like to do it, that would take the surprise and anticipation out of the hunt.

Pretty sure all drone operators need a FAA permit now. A lot of western states have laws against flying and hunting the same day. I've read some are considering the same kind of regulations regarding drones.

Top Bottom