Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drought thoughts?

Wi transplant

PMA Member
Ok I planted my brassicas and other stuff for fall plots 1st week of Aug. It took 8 day to get a small rain . Got good germination but zero rain since ! Things look OK but another 10 days forecasted with zero presip forecasted!! How long can the brassicas. New clover . Peas ect go before I need to think about a back up plan of over seeding with oats n rye in Sept? Thoughts??

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Same. 2nd year in a row for SW Iowa. Planted 3 weeks ago and no rain, nothing even germinating, yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is just like last year!! No till or with good organic matter- if u have plants sending tap root down- just fine. The non-germinated will likely be small when they do get the moisture. If folks tore up soil - problematic & plants stressed, moisture lost.
brassicas can chase moisture like crazy. But if no germination or dried up soils…. May be close to Dbltree cereal rye mix time.

with your specific situation…. I’d watch them. May be ok. They can tolerate a lot. Especially on good soil. If they cook- by the time you realize it…. You have time to do a cereal mix. Hold tight & update.

Heres where there at so far!!
999698e5df2c8163081fb4275584034c.jpg

Looks like great soil!! Wish you had trash/mulch on top but they sure look good so far. Stay the course & see how things shape up in next week or so. Forecasters are wrong more than they are right past a few days out.

This is just like last year!! No till or with good organic matter- if u have plants sending tap root down- just fine. The non-germinated will likely be small when they do get the moisture. If folks tore up soil - problematic & plants stressed, moisture lost.
brassicas can chase moisture like crazy. But if no germination or dried up soils…. May be close to Dbltree cereal rye mix time.

with your specific situation…. I’d watch them. May be ok. They can tolerate a lot. Especially on good soil. If they cook- by the time you realize it…. You have time to do a cereal mix. Hold tight & update.

Yep, we no tilled fall mix into a good summer stand of milo, beans, buckwheat, etc then killed with gly the same day we planted. Will send pics next time at farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im going to try the buckwheat no till method next yr ! These late summer southern iowa dry spells are food plot killers!!

Not sure where you are located and if you live around your farm or not. But if your food plots are located in southern iowa, we are getting rain as we speak. Huge relief. This should be enough rain to make your brassicas blow up.

Forecasters are wrong more than they are right past a few days out.

Man is that ever true, especially in the late summer it seems.. I thought I was SOL with a rye/clover planting and then my neighbor texted me and we got a 1/2" of rain 2 days ago! Came out of nowhere, go figure..

It was going around me this morning but think i managed a lil ! Find out tonight when i get home! Fingers are crossed!!

Well... i got some says my area got .04 in . Enough to knock the dust off! Got a 50 pct chance in next couple of days. Gonna stock up on oats n rye just in case!!

Well... i got some says my area got .04 in . Enough to knock the dust off! Got a 50 pct chance in next couple of days. Gonna stock up on oats n rye just in case!!

Not a bad idea.
if folks had “iffy” brassicas….
Best example would be: spray with clethodim & crop oil…. Drill over it with rye, oats, winter peas & some clovers for next year.

we had a 100% chance with the potential of 1-2" it split and went around us not a drop within a 20mile radius.

Top Bottom