Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DSD Strutter/before & after pics

Hardcorehunter

UL Shelter/Stove Geek
I picked this up last night at Scheels in Des Moines. I couldn't wait to see him setup, so after my 6 am Men's group at my church, I decided to set him up quickly, and show you guys what he looks like.

Before I added my tail and wing feathers. For those with no real turkey parts, Dave Smith's website has a link where you can buy "parts".
http://www.customfeathers.com/

There are molded in threaded ACE bolts and he gives you washers and nuts to secure your "parts" to the deke. The fan bolt should be longer imo, as I had my fan sandwiched between two 1/4" pieces of plywood, so as to add durability to my fan.

2011-03-17_09-47-27_81.jpg

2011-03-17_09-47-17_155.jpg

2011-03-17_09-47-09_55.jpg

After pics with my "parts" installed. Dave does provide this beard, or you can use your own.

2011-03-17_09-43-12_137.jpg

2011-03-17_09-43-01_384.jpg

2011-03-17_09-42-01_678.jpg

2011-03-17_09-41-48_185.jpg

2011-03-17_09-41-17_140.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty freakin awesome. A bit disappointed with the fain attachment mechanism, that is the same thing they have on the Bmobile and in my opinion complete junk. I can't tell you how many freakin washers, bolts, etc. I went through. Ended up getting rid of the decoy for that specific reason.

Have to admit though, that thing is sick looking
Kratz

That thing looks bulky and awkward to carry to be honest. How much does it weigh?

Nothing against it, my "new" strutter will be a PITA to carry around as well.

That thing looks bulky and awkward to carry to be honest. How much does it weigh?

Nothing against it, my "new" strutter will be a PITA to carry around as well.

Box says 12 lbs on the mailing label. Pretty light, compared to a pack a guy carries while elk hunting;)

Looks pretty freakin awesome. A bit disappointed with the fain attachment mechanism, that is the same thing they have on the Bmobile and in my opinion complete junk. I can't tell you how many freakin washers, bolts, etc. I went through. Ended up getting rid of the decoy for that specific reason.

Have to admit though, that thing is sick looking
Kratz

I do know that the bolt should be longer. I can see where it may get old, dealing with that attachment. I like my pretty boy slot of just dropping it in.

Box says 12 lbs on the mailing label. Pretty light, compared to a pack a guy carries while elk hunting;)

Not sure what you're getting at there comparing it to an elk hunting pack? At least a pack has shoulder straps.

So it's probably 10 pounds or so? I'm really glad I didn't get one then, my mounted gobbler weighs half that and has a handle. When you put that strutter on with 3 other deeks in the 2.5 pound range you're near 18 pounds or so and they're bulky and hanging all over the place.

Not sure what you're getting at there comparing it to an elk hunting pack? At least a pack has shoulder straps.

So it's probably 10 pounds or so? I'm really glad I didn't get one then, my mounted gobbler weighs half that and has a handle. When you put that strutter on with 3 other deeks in the 2.5 pound range you're near 18 pounds or so and they're bulky and hanging all over the place.
Prob 10-11 lbs. My Magnus Rack chair has shoulder straps. You have to carry a blind, don't you carry it on a back pack of some kind?

Muddy lets see you put your strutter in a decoy bag and strap it to your pack.....dont think it will hold up. I like having at least one hand free.

I dont plan on taking every decoy I have especailly when Im by my self. I will probably be the jake and two hens or strutter and two hens. If I have a hunting buddy with me I might take everything. Dont have a submissive and dont plan on getting one. Put my hens on my fish scale and each one weighed 2.1lb.

Last edited:
I would be willing to bet that Muddy's decoy will hold up to a decoy bag..its been through just about everything!

Not a problem..just let him dry back out when you set the blind out to dry. I mean seriously the thing cant look much worse! :)

Cooter, I agree, my strutter won't work in a bag and I don't plan on using a bag. He has a re-rod stake thru his body and it bends over into a very nice carrying handle just above his back. It's perfectly comfortable and though it's tough to believe, that stuffed strutter only weighs about 3 pounds, most of it that stake, I'll take that any day over a 12 pound decoy hanging awkwardly off my back. He's so ugly a little rain won't hurt him. In fact, might pretty him up a bit. Not taking anything away from that DSD strutter or those that choose to use it. I know what I paid for my stuffed strutter and what those things cost, I saved myself $194!

HCH, I don't know anything about your pack, all I know is that mine packs everything I want just perfect for me with zero complaints and no noise and no movement.

Muddy Buddy, here is what I do. Works great for me. I've tried everything under the sun. Here is a Magnus rack pack/combo chair and back pack. Expensive, but worth EVERY penny imo. The pack has load lifters, adjustable waist belt, adjustable shoulder straps, and is basically setup like a cargo hauler for carrying big game loads of out of the mountains with. Here is my setup, all rigged and ready to rock.
Items on the pack:
2 cargo motorcycle nets
1 Double bull Matrix
1 DSD upright hen
1 DSD feeder hen
1 DSD Jake
1 DSD Strutter
1 real fan/2 wing tips protected in cardboard sleeve
4 DSD stakes

The two hens and their carry bags fit into the Jake bag. Bag on top is the strutter with fan/wing tips cardboard protector. Bottom bag seen is the 3 other dekes and their bags with stakes for all 4 dekes.

Total weight for entire package is 45#. I used to lug a feathered pretty boy, so this is much easier now, as I don't have to protect it's feathers. My hands are free, except for my bow. If I want, I can put my bow under one of the nets.

2011-03-17_17-27-59_24.jpg

2011-03-17_17-26-50_225.jpg

Pack converts into a chair. The best blind chair I have ever used, I might add.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Nice setup HCH.

Im still using a badlands 2200. I was having a hard time finding a place to hook the the cargo nets. I ended up making some loops to hook to with paracord. Looks like its gonna work great.

Like the magnus chair/pack but its not gonna happen this year.

Top Bottom