Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dual cam vs single

Wapsi Tree Rat

I was going to push it one more year, but after some bag practice tonight, I decided to say thanks for the good memories and put the 2003 Fred Bear single cam into retirement. Now I'm shopping...in a hurry.

I love tinkering, adjusting, and fixing stuff. However, for some reason I'm not that way with my bow. I want to set it up and be done, knowing full well I can pick an apple off Daver's head from 80 yds. (OK, maybe 20 yds)

I'm getting some mixed opinions on dual cam vs single. I know dual cams are typically faster, but periodic timing adjustments are necessary. But now I'm seeing claimed speeds of 320-330 on some single cams. Then I was told that single cams trash strings. My Bear was a single cam, and I never did replace the string. I don't know what to think. Is one quieter than the other?

Looking for your thoughts. Go!

I was going to push it one more year, but after some bag practice tonight, I decided to say thanks for the good memories and put the 2003 Fred Bear single cam into retirement. Now I'm shopping...in a hurry.

I love tinkering, adjusting, and fixing stuff. However, for some reason I'm not that way with my bow. I want to set it up and be done, knowing full well I can pick an apple off Daver's head from 80 yds. (OK, maybe 20 yds)

I'm getting some mixed opinions on dual cam vs single. I know dual cams are typically faster, but periodic timing adjustments are necessary. But now I'm seeing claimed speeds of 320-330 on some single cams. Then I was told that single cams trash strings. My Bear was a single cam, and I never did replace the string. I don't know what to think. Is one quieter than the other?

Looking for your thoughts. Go!

Ummm...Daver's wife would appreciate it if you wouldn't use his head as a target holder :) If anybody is going to do me in...she wants to be the one. :) :)

Now then...I am not enough of a bow technician to guide your decision on one cam v. two...but I am pretty sure that you don't want a three cam setup. :) I bought a new bow a couple of years ago from Boyd(Gunrunner on IW) and I quite happy with it. I think you will notice quite an upgrade if your last new one was from 2003. Good luck!!

Dual cam hands down. Lateral nock travel. Easier to stay in time. Single cam is gonna have a 80" string roughly. Dual is 35" roughly. Which is gonna stretch more? When a single cam stretches your neck point moves up/down. Not good. When a binary stretches nock should stay level for the most part. I've got guys shooting my Elites thousands and thousands of shots and nothing moves. Very simple system.

Theres a lot of good systems out there anymore. Some dual cams can be a little fussier if they have a yoked cable. But still far superior to a single cam in my opinion.

I'd go dual cam or whatever they want to call their system. No reason I can think of to shoot a single any more.

BTW a single cam can get out of time as well. I've never known a single cam to trash strings more than a dual cam. A new string properly installed on your bear might surprise you but a new bow compared to a 2003 will really be an upgrade.

I have not found it true that dual cams take more tinkering. I suppose if you put on cheap strings that are more prone to stretch I could see that being the case.
I really like dual cams with yokes, like the Bowtech Realm. You have the ability to tune the bow perfect by adjusting lean on both cams.
Having said that, my old Switchback XT was pretty easy to tune as well. My advice would be to shoot a few and see what you like best, and let the dual cam vs single cam be a secondary consideration.

Top Bottom