Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dual permission

Buckhunter92

Just gained access to a piece on the southeast side of my section I hunt tonight. Only problem guy said 2 other guys have had permission in the past. All of us have other ground to hunt on this section to. How do you guys go about corinating with the other guys so no one gets all upset or toes get stepped on. I'm gunna get in contact with the guys this week and let them know I have permission didn't know if they're was any good way to go about it.

Last edited:
IMO I would advise them you have permission also, and would defer to them as I assume they’ve been there before you. I’d ask where they like to hunt and tell them I’ll go the opposite way. What I would do.

I avoid other people. Find areas they are not in and ideally try and hunt when they are not hunting. I like to have same reaction from deer, other hunters & landowner, etc…. “I didn’t hardly notice he was there” …. As much as possible.
On occasion, I have had permission with some guys where it didn’t work. Ground was ruined, crowded, over-hunted, u name it. I bagged those spots. Bigger the farms- clearly less issues.

Going into new farms like this…. Maybe last 2 cents…. Have some back up options in case it’s a mess or doesn’t pan out. Good luck though!!!

Been on both sides of this..... be prepared for some very disgruntled people. There is a very real "we were here first" entitlement. Many years ago I had people intentionally sabotage my hunts. anymore its not worth the stress and I avoid situations completely.

Maybe they are super cool about it, but i've yet to see it anecdotally.

Been on both sides of this..... be prepared for some very disgruntled people. There is a very real "we were here first" entitlement. Many years ago I had people intentionally sabotage my hunts. anymore its not worth the stress and I avoid situations completely.

Maybe they are super cool about it, but i've yet to see it anecdotally.
This is my worry the one guy lives right across the road from the piece. Idk if he bow hunts or just gun hunts need to go talk to him. This is big ag ground to. Piece is 156 acres I'd say maybe 30 in huntable. Sets up perfect for big one's to cruise and slip through to adjoining timber.

I have lived this. I hunted a farm for 20 years and then the owner's son took over. He didn't ask me not to hunt, but he let a few of his buddies in. Eventually it ended up being too busy and I hardly saw any decent ones any more. I ended up just not hunting there any more . . .

If you want to try it I would do like the other guys said. Contact them and see if you can work out a good stand location that is not near them. Like the other guys said though, be prepared for some frustrated voices and them claiming all of the good spots . . . Good luck.

+1. I'd give them that respect if they were there first.
+2 on this one. There becomes a time where from one hunter to another hunter you have to draw a line. It’s only 30 acres and you know someone who lives right across from the farm is hunting it. Had you not known someone else was in there the situation would be different. But just because you can get permission unfortunately doesn’t always mean you should. Like others have stated. Most likely nothing good will come from this.

I agree with the above. If they don’t now hunt or late muzzy hunt maybe work out a situation where you can do that

I will add this is more of a back up spot for a straight west wind. This is first time for me being in this situation normally hunt my little section and then go to public

Before I hunted my own land, I was on several places where others could also hunt. Be prepared for the unexpected...unfortunately. People in your stands, setting up very close, walking about...at key movement times, no regard for wind direction, etc.

I also had good situations...but those seemed to involve me hunting during archery season, while the friends and fam went shotgun hunting, etc. 30 acres is not a lot of ground if someone else is hunting at the same time.

+2 on this one. There becomes a time where from one hunter to another hunter you have to draw a line. It’s only 30 acres and you know someone who lives right across from the farm is hunting it. Had you not known someone else was in there the situation would be different. But just because you can get permission unfortunately doesn’t always mean you should. Like others have stated. Most likely nothing good will come from this.
+3
Put yourself in their shoes. When I knock on a door, and somebody has hunting permission already I just move on. The LO has no idea how hunting works and just wants "all the deer dead" so he'll give it out to anybody. I had this happen to me last year. Farm is 90 acres and I worked my tail off putting in food plots and stands. Found out 1 month before season he gave someone else permission. First week of the season I walked up on the guy sitting over the plot in my stand LOL. I nicely asked him to move along and told him my side of the story and all the work i've done. He was nice and understanding and haven't seen him since. It's a gentleman's sport. Would you want somebody moving in on your permission farm?

Sounds promising. If noone else is bowhunting it then it may work out. Noone is early muzzy hunting?? Are you planning to hunt there at all besides bow season?

He said his dad and uncle are early season muzzleloader hunting the neighboring property which is there families but didn't sound like they'd be hunting on this spot.Only bow hunt it I rarely gun hunt even late season

You may have already, but possibly tell them it's just a backup spot for you. Just because they only gun hunt later in the season, would still be wrong to hunt it hard and have it all burned out just before it's their turn. Sounds like there's a chance everyone can be happy and respectful.

Top Bottom