Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dumb question.....but maybe not.

Wapsi Tree Rat

Reading through the Iowa DNR regs tonight and this I have seen before but I don't do it so never gave it much thought. Then after reading a few posts tonight (not picking on anyone here) it got me wondering.

This is pretty straight forward...

USE OF CB, MOBILE TRANSMITTER, CELL PHONE
You cannot use a one or two-way mobile radio transmitter to communicate the location or direction of game or furbearing animals.

Can someone please explain to me how cell cam usage is legal? Thanks!

My guess is that cell cams are not person to person communication like might occur during a “deer drive”.

But you bring up a good point that some states have moved to ban them as an unfair advantage. Some states (Az?) banned trailcams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4dc3869b90efd52473f7c6fbad78acaf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are spot on it Ishi! 179 views, 1 comment, and 1 can of worms.

Apparently a LOT of guys are using cell cams but don't much want to talk about it. ;)

I don't think it is really a can of worms from a legality standpoint. They are clearly legal. The law posted above applies to party hunting, deer drives, coordinating PEOPLE, etc. That's why it was created. Coyote hunters blatantly do it though with CB's though.

The conversation of the ethics of cell cameras is a different discussion all together that at this point each person needs to decide for themselves. The obvious positives are less intrusion, saving on gas/time checking cards, having recent information, etc. Where I PERSONALLY draw the line with them is using them in real time to locate a deer and instantly running into the area to hunt them. I don't use them in that way. I'm not saying people should or shouldn't use them in that manner. That's a personal decision at this point unless a law changes.

As the law is written, cellular cameras are illegal. Unless / until a case is heard and a verdict handed down about their usage in Iowa, nothing will change. Several laws with contradicting practices exist like this. Technically illegal, but...

As the law is written, cellular cameras are illegal. Unless / until a case is heard and a verdict handed down about their usage in Iowa, nothing will change. Several laws with contradicting practices exist like this. Technically illegal, but...
That's your interpretation. The folks that enforce the laws do not have the same interpretation, thus they are legal.....

Cell cams cross the ethical line. Period. Of course people get the photo email and go hunt the nearest stand. Its not fair chase to know where a deer is real time. It’s common sense. I can’t get a call that my target buck is on the west side of my farm but I can get an email ?? Lol. Come on

Cell cams cross the ethical line. Period. Of course people get the photo email and go hunt the nearest stand. Its not fair chase to know where a deer is real time. It’s common sense. I can’t get a call that my target buck is on the west side of my farm but I can get an email ?? Lol. Come on
Exactly. They're both the same thing. Real-time electronic communications about location and movement of quarry. I think it's less about different interpretations of the law, and more about precedence for enforcing the law. If the existing law isn't modified, a single court case verdict, declaring that cellular cameras are indeed illegal, and the law will start being enforced.

I think they're a great invention, don't get me wrong, but I think it's only a matter of time before they're outlawed in Iowa.

or even a text or popup the exact time he crosses a cam. Agree...

All I know is that a cell cam would have screwed up my quest for the biggest buck of my life on 10.03.2021.
Don't own one ... don't plan on owning one.

Don't fool yourself thinking hunters doing only deer drives are the only ones to use a cell phone for deer location. I don't have a cell camera but know many who do and yes they look before and during hunting if they get a message. You still have to close the deal, but it does give you an advantage when it comes to hunting a lot like getting a call or text telling you the big buck is headed your way on the trail to your left.

Not all cell cams give you instant feedback. Its service dependant of course as even the best camera can only get you pictures as fast as the network will allow. I think saying all cell cams are the "devil" and should be illegal or are bad for hunting is a bit extreme. Cuddelink networks for example are generally speaking at an hour for the quickest delivery and can be set many different increments from there. Getting pictures from the morning movement later in the day and not having to go pull a card is enjoyable for me personally. I dont want or need instant feedback.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom