Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DWilk sent me a text and....

Waddell Wannabe

Quick Trigger
DWilk just sent me a text and it looks like he has scored on a monster iowa whitetail! 6 1/2 year old monarch of the woods! I've been promised he will get pics up soon! (He's a jaw dropper!)

Well finally after 4 years of passing 4 and 5 year olds I finally got a 6 year old that I have been after. I have enrolled all my hunting ground into the CRP and QDM programs and was hoping this would produce the true Iowa giants that I see in the movies. I thought this would work real quick, but it took me awhile. This is the first deer that I know for sure is 6+ yrs old and have documented video of him and even some trail cam pics of him when he was 2 and 3 and one shed off of him when he was a 1 yr old. The documentation is great!

The story

It was 430 pm this afternoon and I was driving 91 mph to my hunting spot so that I would get there before dark. I only had 25 miles left to go but I made it there right about the normal time I usually get into the tree – so I was pumped!! After frantically throwing on my camo denims I made it to my gorilla hang on treestand without spooking one deer. I got settled and no sooner that I pulled out a mountain dew and a peanutbuter and jelly sandwich a big fatty doe came running by me at 180 yards. Since I wasn’t expecting anything to be moving so quick after getting settled I accidently spilled my dew and dropped my pb&j on the ground :eek: .. BOY WAS I STIRRED UP!! Anyways, a big old mature buck came running behind he with about 7 small bucks, all 4 and 5 yr olds that I have passed earlier in the season. The one that was directly on her tail was the 6 yr old I had documentation of though. So I knocked up one of my carbon maximum arrows that rendered a beautifully sharpened 100 grain spitfire broadhead. This is when it got real interesting… With all the bucks grunting and chasing around me now at 100 yards I couldn’t even hear myself think it was so loud. I finally did a giant snort wheeze and all the bucks stopped and put their heads up and looked at me, man i couldn’t quit shaking! Finally, this old brute left the doe and came straight towards me offering me no shot with my wonderful Hoyt Vortex with a 21 inch draw and 45 lbs of pull weight. He ended up directly under my stand and began drinking mountain dew and even took two bites of my peanutbutter and jelly sandwich :mad:!! (I don’t consider this baiting though since it was a complete accident). Finally after eating my dinner, this pig of a bully walked off giving me a perfect quartering away shot at 32.5 yards and I let my arrow eat. I watched him go down in the timber about 70 yards away and then all the other bucks came up to him and layed down next to their fallen hero.. I couldn’t take it anymore and finally got down to recover this giant!! I was pumped and hungry. I want to thank Waddell Wannabe for coming and taking the harvest pics :way: – he did an excellent job and he also brought me some McDonald’s cheeseburgers since this punk stole my dinner.

The PeanutButter and Jelly BUCK
Lee_Gnarles1.jpg

Great buck Derek! I've been waiting to see what kind of monster you would kill this year. Good thing you waited so long and didn't settle for the first deer to walk by your stand.

Congrats on your buck Derek. Sounds like you deserved him after passing up all of those 4 and 5 year olds! I may have to try the peanut butter trick sometime as well. Is there a certain brand of peanut butter that works best?

Now that's funny, looks like your season is probably going like mine. I was thinking about doing a comedy video instead of a seroius hunting video since that's the way my season is going. :thrwrck::D

Congrats on your buck Derek. Sounds like you deserved him after passing up all of those 4 and 5 year olds! I may have to try the peanut butter trick sometime as well. Is there a certain brand of peanut butter that works best?

The peanutbutter was the same kind my dog likes too!! It is crunchy Peter Pan. Also the jelly was strawberry, you can see where this joker forget to wipe it off his lips!!

Way to go on the mature buck. It's tough passing those 4 & 5 yr olds hoping they make it to six. I find practicing texas style QDM breaks up the monotany, you know, whacking all the spikes and 8 pointers you can.

Way to go on the mature buck. It's tough passing those 4 & 5 yr olds hoping they make it to six. I find practicing texas style QDM breaks up the monotany, you know, whacking all the spikes and 8 pointers you can.

Oh boy, I hope Mickey doesn't read this! :D

Derek, i was thinking about getting a faster shooting bow with higher draw weight. But you only used 45 lb. draw weight and 21 in. draw length. Did you get a full pass through? Just wanted to know your expert opinion on weaponry to be used in slaying giant iowa whitetails!

Derek, i was thinking about getting a faster shooting bow with higher draw weight. But you only used 45 lb. draw weight and 21 in. draw length. Did you get a full pass through? Just wanted to know your expert opinion on weaponry to be used in slaying giant iowa whitetails!

I still get about 270 fps out of my Vortex. The shot hit the PB&J buck directly in the last rib and hit the offside shoulder so I did not get a complete pass through, but as a weaponry expert at Scheels Sporting Goods - I would recommend to you and anyone else to use draw-locks and/or crossbows when you are in the situation as the one I was in. I have seriously short arms and sore shoulders, so I use the highest amount of draw weight I possibly can with the longest possible draw length so my bow shoots the most fps it possibly can, that way you too can arrow a giant bodied Iowa whitetail without worrying about penetration.

Come visit me in Des Moines at Scheels @ Jordan Creek TownCenter for free advice and reccomendations there as well, and you too can start chasing these brutes with more knowledge about how they interact with their environment! :way:

Top Bottom