Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early lockdown?

sooner308

Getting word that many mature deer are being seen in Central Iowa locked up with does already. Hearing this from several people I know that hunt hard and hunt often. I guess I would say I trust what they are seeing. Every year you hear about it happening and is more of what I call the armchair hunters. Believe everything they hear. I know the speech is coming of just hunt, just get out there, can’t kill them from the couch…..blah, blah, blah. Seems early but certainly could be happening. Will see as I begin hunting Friday for a full week.

I’ve seen it happen over the years. There’s usually 3-4 older bucks locked on a doe since most aren’t in yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rut is a little more challenging compared to predictable early season feeding patterns and the late season uncut bean field as the only food source in the county in mid January. Lol. I’d hate the rut too

Reactions: arm
Not every doe comes in on one single day. The rut is a bell curve with a FEW being bred early (late October) and a few late (Dec or even Jan) with the peak of the curve mid Nov. If there happens to be an early doe coming in around your stand could be incredible hunting as several bucks will likely be there. Rest of area could be dead tho. Just my .02.

Not every doe comes in on one single day. The rut is a bell curve with a FEW being bred early (late October) and a few late (Dec or even Jan) with the peak of the curve mid Nov. If there happens to be an early doe coming in around your stand could be incredible hunting as several bucks will likely be there. Rest of area could be dead tho. Just my .02.
Bingo! It drives us nuts because there is nothing quite like the seek phase but one hot doe it's full on craziness for 300 acres. I read where they only pair up for about 48 hours, sound about right?

Getting word that many mature deer are being seen in Central Iowa locked up with does already. Hearing this from several people I know that hunt hard and hunt often. I guess I would say I trust what they are seeing. Every year you hear about it happening and is more of what I call the armchair hunters. Believe everything they hear. I know the speech is coming of just hunt, just get out there, can’t kill them from the couch…..blah, blah, blah. Seems early but certainly could be happening. Will see as I begin hunting Friday for a full week.
Hang tight fellas....The weather in Iowa is suppressing deer movement but the best is yet to come!

The first doe in heat now will demand lots of attention from all buck but older bucks will know and that's when things get NUTS!

Been hearing more reliable reports of abnormal early lockdown behaviour. I'm not seeing much activity at all, other than fawns, which is odd for this time of year. Next week or 2 will tell.

The two shooters I've seen were cruising. I saw a spike and a 100" 8 pointer locked down on does though. Lol

I finally had a shooter stroll past at 75 yards this AM. He acknowledged a couple grunts, but stayed his slow stroll. He didn't circle back on my position either. Darn it! It was good to lay eyes on one at least.

Does in each region will come into heat same time every year.
Sure, a couple may be earlier(norm) but the "rut" does not change year to year.
I've bowhunted HARD for 40 years and although I've seen slower "ruts", there are things like warm temps that may contribute to lack of daytime movement.
The lockdown(I hate that word) has not begun yet.

Hunted one county this morning, another this evening. Saw 6 bucks both places, most yearlings, maybe two 2 year olds. They were walking around, not that open mouth rut trot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom