Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early lockdown?

Better than average year for me. Mature bucks moving in daylight since 27th. More overall deer sightings than Last couple years. Seen big bucks dogging does on camera last Wednesday and one in person this morning. Just not close enough though

Better than average year for me. Mature bucks moving in daylight since 27th. More overall deer sightings than Last couple years. Seen big bucks dogging does on camera last Wednesday and one in person this morning. Just not close enough though

Same. Things really heated up the last week of Oct when we got a cold front in terms of daylight photos and movement. Had a giant 140" 9 pt at 50 yards feeding with a mature doe Nov 4th evening. Fed with her almost within range then grunted at her, she wasn't having it and took off, I drew and he got to about 40 yards then swung away giving me no shot.. Such is bowhunting.

Beyond that, we've had tons of fawns without mothers from Nov 3rd - 6th, which seemed a tad early to me..

Have been off since Friday. Hunted every day almost all day. Day 4 today. Same. Next to zero movement. Fawns and buttons for the most part when a deer is seen. These are farms and large timber with great numbers. Fields empty at night. For those who don’t like the L word, call it what you want. It’s happening. Most mature bucks have disappeared and does are scattered outside the timber with the warm temps hiding.

Seems like the switch just turned on today. My son seen 5 buck this morning and one mature one. No shooting opportunities but made for an exciting morning. Checked some cams today, yesterday and this morning was pretty active from daybreak until about 10:30am. There is some midday action too but mostly 1 and 2 year old's. My one buddy called me today around 1:30pm and was all pumped up, he had just seen a monster chasing a doe back and forth between two tracks of timer so I'd say it's on!

Bucks with does a few days - lockdown shakes up fast. Does in & out none stop. So- it’s never really lock down. It’s slower rut in general. BUT….
Deep timber made “slow” into “really good” …. Didn’t shoot one but I saw a ton of bucks.

Could have shot several nice ones on sits when I’ve got into thick timbered areas quietly….. get in with nothing busting (or rarely if so)…. Overly favorable wind & good spot…. Lots of good bucks. Best consistent hunting right now. For me.

Right now and for the next 6_8 days, every stud (older) buck should be with a doe.
I'ma firm believer that the 5_7 year old bucks don't need to go looking for does.
Does go to them.

I’ve seen bucks hiding does for 6-8 days now- ones that were for sure in heat. One locked on one yesterday- running off 8-10 small bucks. So…. They are cycling off of bred does & on to next...
The biggest lull in behind us IMO. It’s full force go time if u can go. If u can choose- take quick break with warm weather. But…. It’s good. Very good. I know there’s hunters who are straight up burnt out right now. Take a break with heat & go if u can. IMO - some amazing hunting this week or next 10 days. GO!!!!!!

Why? Please explain.

The wood were D E A D this weekend for mature buck movement in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He quoted many times in magazines articles before the internet that if he had only one week to hunt it would be the third week of November. Him and others say that’s when the big boys are on their feet right after the peak rut.

I was thinking about this last week in the stand. Roger wrote some books years ago. I have several from others but never bought one for him so I did a go duck go search and Black Widow bows have Whitetail Magic in stock. Order was placed

He quoted many times in magazines articles before the internet that if he had only one week to hunt it would be the third week of November. Him and others say that’s when the big boys are on their feet right after the peak rut.

I was thinking about this last week in the stand. Roger wrote some books years ago. I have several from others but never bought one for him so I did a go duck go search and Black Widow bows have Whitetail Magic in stock. Order was placed
I have both of his books and multiple copies. Went over to his place and chatted for a few hours before he passed away. That dude knew his stuff way before his time back in early 80s! What he is saying, there aren’t many opportunities to catch a mature buck on his feet in daylight but catching him on back side of peak rut looking a little harder for those last few days increases your odds. If you looking for big numbers of deer sightings now is not the best time but your chances of a roaming stud are higher right now for the next week to 10 days.

12 different bucks by my stand from 2-5:30 Saturday night, four which I would consider mature.

I'll go along with later this week. At least that was my plan and what I was looking forward to.

Top Bottom