Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early rutting Action????

Trapshooter1

Has anybody been seeing any???? A buddy seen a buck checking doe s a couple days ago. I haven't been seeing any myself. Last week of October.

I went after work yesterday and saw some 1.5 year olds heads down bumping some does out eating and then clicking their heads together. It was amussing. I larger out, maybe 120", was out there too and he just kept eating, didn't care.

I stopped paying attention to the "early rut" talk a couple years ago. Seems like every year you'll hear at least one person say how it's on in about the 2nd or 3rd week of October. No way! There may be an early doe that a buck or two is nudging, but usually the "rutting" behavior that I see that early on is coming from 1.5 year old bucks that are getting excited and they don't know why and so they just start running around like a teenage boy. I wouldn't get too worked up about it. The rut will hit nearly the same as it does every other year.

I seen my first buck last night driving home in a fresh cut cornfield, he was running with 3 does but I wouldn't say pre-rut activity...

Thanks for the responses guys, last year I grunted a mature buck in on Oct 26, he run another buck off and was tending a group of doe s and I sent him off the deep end. So I was just wonder what everyone else is seeing. On the my sits so far just doe s. That's about it.

Trapshooter1 said:
Has anybody been seeing any???? A buddy seen a buck checking doe s a couple days ago. I haven't been seeing any myself. Last week of October.

Had a 2.5-3yr old buck grunting and chasing a doe...was surprised just how deep his grunt was, almost like a growl.

Deer are on their feet. Seen 5 and shots going off all around us. I sent one arrow flying, little high so waiting it out. . . . .

Shot a nice mature buck Thursday night. Was following 2 does and walking away. Heard him grunt once. Grunted at him but nothing, grabbed the rattling antlers and rattled him in. 25 yards with .45 cal muzzy. Live weight probably pushing 280-300. I weight 275 and hardly could budge him.

IowaBuckSlayer2013 said:
Deer are on their feet. Seen 5 and shots going off all around us. I sent one arrow flying, little high so waiting it out. . . . .

Good luck finding him! Keep us updated!

Bowtech bandit said:
Shot a nice mature buck Thursday night. Was following 2 does and walking away. Heard him grunt once. Grunted at him but nothing, grabbed the rattling antlers and rattled him in. 25 yards with .45 cal muzzy. Live weight probably pushing 280-300. I weight 275 and hardly could budge him.

Congrats! Pics??

LYON said:
I stopped paying attention to the "early rut" talk a couple years ago. Seems like every year you'll hear at least one person say how it's on in about the 2nd or 3rd week of October. No way! There may be an early doe that a buck or two is nudging, but usually the "rutting" behavior that I see that early on is coming from 1.5 year old bucks that are getting excited and they don't know why and so they just start running around like a teenage boy. I wouldn't get too worked up about it. The rut will hit nearly the same as it does every other year.

I completely agree with this.

watched a dink buck chase around several does on picked bean field next to work about 7:30 am. Friday!y

Dad had a 160s chasing a huge doe in backyard this morning. Could have killed it multiple times off deck. She must be close but was a giant doe.

I had 5 bucks, one a mature 140's class 8, the rest 100-120 inch 3 yr olds all within 50 yds of me pushing a doe. I thought I was gonna see an all out battle, but the 120" ten kept his distance from the mature buck. There are several does that are real close, so the cold weather snap got the bucks moving. Scraping and rubbing exploded this week as well.

All kinds of chasing going on here. Up and down the trees like crazy. Squirrels are the only chasing I'm seeing.

I seen a dink buck bust does October 8. Just normal pre rut stuff that goes on every year.
All kinds of chasing going on here. Up and down the trees like crazy. Squirrels are the only chasing I'm seeing.
Now you are having my kinds luck:)

I've seen normal pre-rut activity. I had a 6 and 8 pointer trying to chase does but the does wanted none of it in the past two nights.

Top Bottom