Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early shedding bucks- why? article- worth the read…

GMO's, herbicides and pesticides surely couldn't have anything to do with it, could they?
Interesting thought. I’ve never thought of that. Hmmmmm. GMO & pesticide use has been pretty heavy for 30-40+ years (pesticide more so) - wonder if there’s a change?!??

I personally have a bit more dropped this year vs previous years. I kinda think I notice more this year due to that incredibly cold week (that was brutally cold!!!!!). My deer #’s are NOT too high. Nutrition is good. Bucks fighting is probably on the high side yet. Stumps me for sure when I see some drop or look unhealthy when all other metrics are in the deer’s favor. But- resilient animals even if they do go through stress or injury.

@Sligh1 Always start by looking at what's changed over the past few years / decades. Correlation doesn't equate to causation, but it's great marker for where to concentrate your initial research, before casting a wider net.

Not sure how plausible it is, but very possible.

Last edited:
IMO a read good cold snap will get some to drop early. That near week of below zero and super cold wind chills we had I would guess got some to drop earlier than they normally would have. The bulk will still be mid feb to mid March.

After skinning deer heads for 31 years the majority of that come in during the Christmas time frame and after are starting the shedding process. Some deer the line is very faint and some are very pronounced. During this time frame I’m not surprised to see the separating process on bucks in fact I expected it.
Now if the deer was never shot I have no idea on when his antlers would have shed.
Today a young man that just started bowhunting and he has the bug bad and is anxious to learn all he can asked me if any bucks ever come in with floppy antlers lol

Top Bottom