Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Egyptian Wheat

Put in a screen today. :). I have slacked on EW screens due to workload. Well- my boy Charlie and I did a Mickey Mouse job on one Today. Did the basics. Old school. I drove over to lightly pack it and sprayed atrazine & Gly over it. This silly business will result in a big thick screen though I’m certain. If u really had things dialed in- could get in blind & out with zero detection. Always a stretch to say that “perfect” but - “significantly improved”.... fun basic planting & basic vid to go with.....

Put in a screen today. :). I have slacked on EW screens due to workload. Well- my boy Charlie and I did a Mickey Mouse job on one Today. Did the basics. Old school. I drove over to lightly pack it and sprayed atrazine & Gly over it. This silly business will result in a big thick screen though I’m certain. If u really had things dialed in- could get in blind & out with zero detection. Always a stretch to say that “perfect” but - “significantly improved”.... fun basic planting & basic vid to go with.....
We planted 9 different strips/areas of EW on Memorial day. Process= roto tilled 2 weeks ago, on Monday added 40-0-0 w/Sulphur, tilled in fertilizer, then broadcast E. wheat and drove over with Ranger tires to pack...process worked well last year and am expecting it to again this year.

We planted 9 different strips/areas of EW on Memorial day. Process= roto tilled 2 weeks ago, on Monday added 40-0-0 w/Sulphur, tilled in fertilizer, then broadcast E. wheat and drove over with Ranger tires to pack...process worked well last year and am expecting it to again this year.
I plan on doing just about the same thing tomorrow.

Got asked a few times when to have EW in by…. Probably be just fine as far as early July if u really wanted to press the limits. Won’t get full growth but it still will be pretty tall with N added. I’d try & shoot for this month though.
Treated Urea (N) or lightly worked under non treated. N is most critical. Followed by P. Ideally, per acre- 150-50-50 N-P-K….. since it’s usually such a small area, that cost should be minor. U can dial that back if u wanted…. Some N is just critical though. Proper PH as well but not as fussy as many crops.
burn down (heavy Gly of nasty weeds) + simazine or atrazine. Don’t seed too heavy! Fire back if any weed issues but that’ll fix ya up!

What herbicide will smoke foxtail in EW/sorghum?
Only thing from my research is quinclorac. But apparently you have to get them when the foxtail is really young. I got some to try to save some screens that got taken over by late emerging foxtail but the first weekend was rained out and by the time last weekend rolled around I knew I had missed the window.

So, no experience here but this talks about it on page 15: https://extension.sdstate.edu/sites/default/files/2019-03/P-00088.pdf

Only thing from my research is quinclorac. But apparently you have to get them when the foxtail is really young. I got some to try to save some screens that got taken over by late emerging foxtail but the first weekend was rained out and by the time last weekend rolled around I knew I had missed the window.

So, no experience here but this talks about it on page 15: https://extension.sdstate.edu/sites/default/files/2019-03/P-00088.pdf
yeah foxtail seemed to come on late and very strong. Usually I have atrazine down but ran out of time. May just be what it is this year.

Atrazine as a post? Didn't know that worked....
Most folks don’t realize how powerful atrazine with oil &/or ams is. Add 2,4-d & makes it extremely hot. Not sure why 2,4-d makes it more effective but sure seems to. But yes, atrazine & oil & ams as a post emergent is pretty darn effective.

Most folks don’t realize how powerful atrazine with oil &/or ams is. Add 2,4-d & makes it extremely hot. Not sure why 2,4-d makes it more effective but sure seems to. But yes, atrazine & oil & ams as a post emergent is pretty darn effective.
I sprayed this cocktail on screens at 3 locations 4 days ago. I look forward to looking at results.

Last update until hunting season. This was cheap, fast & will do the job. Probably end a bit too tall in 30 days.
& lil clover update on mowing.

June 4th, 2022

Got it in the ground a little later than I had hoped but not a huge deal as long as the weather cooperates. 8# / acre planted and nicely disced in about a section 12' wide.

I widened the strip (area to the right in the foreground), I mixed some pearl millet, sunflower and cowpeas for a little bird mix experiment. Can see the rye headed out on the left that is protecting clover. Will be clipped this fall for a nice little "sweet spot corridor". Idea courtesy Dbltree.

June 4th.jpg

June 18th, 2022

Seems to be spread well, discing not perfect but does a "decent enough" job.

June 18th.jpg

At this point the section of rye along the woods is drying down, with viable seed and great looking clover underneath to boot.. :D

June 18th - c.jpg

Last edited:
July 9th, 2022

Starting to gain steam with a couple of smaller rains, 1/4" here and there. No good soaks yet..

Do not typically do any weed control in my screens. I have a strong base of ragweed and foxtail, which typically adds to the mess of cover and thickens the screen. As the giant ragweed dries down in the fall, it creates some structure to keep everything from falling flat.

July 9th.jpg

July 16th, 2022

Painful to see, the serious lack of rains along with 3 weeks of 100+ degree weather has everything curled, now in survival mode..

July 16th.jpg

**Update - Just received about 1/2" of rain today! (July 17th). Hopefully it will spring to new life yet! Has some catching up to do..

July 9th, 2022

Starting to gain steam with a couple of smaller rains, 1/4" here and there. No good soaks yet..

Do not typically do any weed control in my screens. I have a strong base of ragweed and foxtail, which typically adds to the mess of cover and thickens the screen. As the giant ragweed dries down in the fall, it creates some structure to keep everything from falling flat.

View attachment 122800

July 16th, 2022

Painful to see, the serious lack of rains along with 3 weeks of 100+ degree weather has everything curled, now in survival mode..

View attachment 122801

**Update - Just received about 1/2" of rain today! (July 17th). Hopefully it will spring to new life yet! Has some catching up to do..
FWIW, in prior years I have had some pretty puny looking EW, much like yours, at this stage of the summer that still came on in August and finished up reasonably well. You obviously need some rain there, but you still have a fighting chance of it turning out OK if you get some rain on it yet.

Puny looking.. Exactly the way I’d describe it right now Dave. Thanks for the laugh! :)

Lack of rain is stunting everything this year.

July 30th, 2022

A prayer answered - 3.1" rainfall swept through, rebounding it back to life! Can see it on the far side of the ragweed in the foreground. Have a small amount of pearl millet mixed in, for interest :cool: . We are "professionals" at growing ragweed here.

However, the ragweed in the old screen (foreground) will be mowed soon with a cereal grain mix planted up to the new screen.

Wheat - July 30.jpg

Top Bottom