Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

EHD Kills

DMarley83

DMARLEY83
Just wondering if any one has found any sign of EHD in Iowa this year? As for me south central/ south east nothing as of yet..... Did smell some death on a farm this week but was not able to locate the Suspect.... Hoping coon.

I’ve been dreading this post all summer. Nothing in south central Iowa. I haven’t heard of a single case down here yet. I’m sure we will have a few random areas as it seems like a yearly thing now a days.

Fingers crossed we finish strong and get to a frost without any casualties. We are on year three since the epidemic down here that wiped out 50-60% of my bucks. One more good year and things could be back to more of the normal as far as deer numbers go.

Velvet shedding time seems to be the peak. Man I hope the deer catch a break! Eastern iowa has had some EHD deer. So far - nothing yet that I’ve noticed.

Found one today.

Just above a dry pond with a bit of mud....

Year and 1/2 maybe a 2 year old....

10 mi sw of indianola

CWD is the major problem???? This is one tiny example of a gazillion of what ehd does This is what happened around plenty of places in iowa 2 years ago 50, 75, even close to 100% losses on deer That re-occur every so many years (especially when New strain comes in) EHD & BT are about as new a problem as cwd (60’s or 70’s was start), EHD & BT here was in 50’s & peaked in last 20 years
IMHO- EHD & BT are the bigger threat big picture over CWD. Cwd shows resistance in some & someday a cure?? Maybe??? Ehd & BT are a virus & tons of strains- hopefully no new ones. & hopefully resistance is built. Both suck but seeing this as one tiny example of countless mass scale ones, sickens me.

9A9575DD-96B3-43D5-8FB0-AC3117F561D0.jpeg
9A098794-4802-44F9-AA5C-C86D8B34DC8D.jpeg

Buddy pulled a nice 4 year old out of his pond today. S of Des Moines 45 mins.
I do expect it every year. So far- ehd seems to be about normal as far as I’ve noticed. It will generally have some impact every year & many biologists have said that u do want to see it every year…. Keeps it in system so some resistance is built. Especially to the newer strains like we saw in 2019.

Top Bottom