Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ehd time again?

loneranger

Since it is very dry again. At least here in Eastern Iowa. Alot of dried exposed mud. Ehd problems again? Wondering.

I've seen videos/pics of dozens of deer dying in/near water this last week on Facebook. All are assumed to be EHD

Ive heard about a few in southern Warren Co and northern Lucas. Driving through that area last week, I noticed a dead buck laying in a creek. But he was about 100 yards from the road, so it is possible he was hit on the road and just happened to die in the creek.

Driving on a road that follows a creek over the weekend you could smell death in several spots. I didn't investigate. :(:mad::eek:

Its happening, a buddy found 5 dead in his pond and another buddy found an absolute giant in a creek.

Buddies in lucas & warren have got hit especially hard. Sucks. I know I’ll see some on me as well but putting my head in the sand for time being.

I don't mean to sound ignorant but this summer has not been that dry has it (until recent weeks anyway)?? I broadcasted seed on 7/27 and was thankful to get .7" of rain the following day in the area of my farm. Soil moisture the day seeded seemed decent to me. I know it's been a dry since but I wouldn't categorize this summer as a ultra-dry by any means.

From the sounds of it my place may be in the death zone but like Skip, I will probably just keep my head in the sand since there really is nothing I can do about it anyway.

Not been that dry? Where do you live. Next week will be number 4. In those weeks I have received only two small rainfalls of a 3rd and a quarter inch. Yep its dry. My brassica planting of a few weeks ago has been a failure.

I don't mean to sound ignorant but this summer has not been that dry has it (until recent weeks anyway)?? I broadcasted seed on 7/27 and was thankful to get .7" of rain the following day in the area of my farm. Soil moisture the day seeded seemed decent to me. I know it's been a dry since but I wouldn't categorize this summer as a ultra-dry by any means.

From the sounds of it my place may be in the death zone but like Skip, I will probably just keep my head in the sand since there really is nothing I can do about it anyway.
It’s not that dry at my farm In Monroe county, neighbor said we got 5 inches in July. I think the ehd is coming from All the flooding this spring drying and leaving plenty of mud for the midges. Wouldn’t think it would be that bad since there’s enough water around for the deer not to be concentrated at one water source.

It’s not that dry at my farm In Monroe county, neighbor said we got 5 inches in July. I think the ehd is coming from All the flooding this spring drying and leaving plenty of mud for the midges. Wouldn’t think it would be that bad since there’s enough water around for the deer not to be concentrated at one water source.

Key info there. ^^ EHD is NOT simply brought to bear by dry weather in the summer, there is more to it than that. It is much more prevalent whenever any set of conditions exist that would expose a lot of mud around water sources, which is the breeding ground for the dastardly midges. In the case of this year, a super wet spring and plenty of flooding then followed by a close to normal or even dry period in a given area still produces too much mud.

Even though it is plenty dry at my place, I have not yet seen the greater than normal receded water lines around ponds and creeks, etc. Plus...we don't have much for cattle in our neighborhood and I am persuaded that cattle close by lead to A LOT worse EHD since there is often plenty of cattle stomped up mud holes to breed those midges too. EHD, while potentially devastating in a given area, is pretty situational, neighborhood by neighborhood IMO.

Top Bottom