Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

EHD updates????

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Been quiet SO FAR. Buddy found 5 in his pond in Madison county. That’s about the only significant feedback I’ve heard.
It’s here every year- just a matter of how bad & what serotype (strain) we get. Lots of solutions or aids to ehd. how many are implementing Is probably small %.

it’s something we will likely deal with for years ahead. Anyone hearing of any or finding any? General area of state?

Nothing yet where I live 45 miles east of Des Moines. But I don’t hunt here….. fingers crossed

Wherever the drought is the worst would be ground zero in my opinion. Half of Madison is among that. Expect Warren, Marion, and Mahaska counties to get hit too

Down by Albia I checked every pond and creek, no sign of anything yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've had very timely and adequate rains in my area, so we are not in a drought. I've been amazed at how bug free we have been this year. Didn't have clouds of gnats swarming around one's head, very few mosquitos. The rains we have been getting have been toad strangling gully washers, so maybe they are flushing the mosquito larva out of the puddles. I'd be surprised if EHD gets a toe hold locally.

I’m on the marion mahaska line and the big crick through my place has been dry for a month. It’s a matter of time at this point.

I spoke with a few DNR Officers at the fair Friday and one of the officers there had just taken the only two that had been reported and one was in Lucas and the other in Allamakee. Of course many don't even get reported but was less then I suspected.

I’m on the marion mahaska line and the big crick through my place has been dry for a month. It’s a matter of time at this point.

Still need a catalyst or “spark” to get it going. What this really boils down to IMO- bottom line…. Does a guy have a lot of “new cattle” show up or cattle in general? Cattle are the cause in my strong belief. So a guy brings a load from “Oklahoma” 20 miles from you…. Carrying certain serotypes of EHD or blue tongue. Unload them by you- fire has started.
2019 was classic example in lucas, warren, Monroe, Madison, Clarke, etc…. New serotype of ehd hit. Went like wildfire. Yes- it came from cattle. Deer had no resistance.
I sure hope the worst is behind us BUT- 90’s to date…. This is the worst it’s ever been. This is new and devastating. Our main hope is they build antibodies & immunity like southern deer have. They will build antibodies, it’s just a matter of how many
More severe outbreaks we need to go through before it happens.

Plenty of cattle around here and one big feedlot 4 miles south. Even in years that ehd isn’t a problem I find at least one dead velvet buck in the crick.

Top Bottom