Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

EHD: What can we do?

Snail3496

I'm sad to report that one of my most promising properties for this fall and the ground around it, has been devastated by EHD over the last week. We haven't counted bodies yet, but the horrid smell around the block and instantly dead cameras paint the picture. This is the 3rd time this particular block has been hit hard in the last 8 years, which leads me to the discussion:

- Can't help drought, but what can we do thats within our control to mitigate these outbreaks? Minerals? Stock tank "waterholes", spraying for midges?

- Over the last 15years, I've noticed some properties that have been hit multiple times, where others haven't ever. None of these are really "bottom" farms and don't have large areas of slough or muck. Has anyone noticed constants in what farms get hit and which ones dont?

Sure this topic has been hit many times, but its that time of year....

I am not an EHD expert and have been fortunate to never really see it much at our place. One frequent theme though in these discussions, and I am sure others like Skip will expound on this, is the presence of cattle near the EHD area. I have been persuaded that EHD outbreaks are likely related to cattle being close by.

Do you have cattle near by?

The cattle carry the disease. The fly just spreads it. Drought increase’s fly hatch which increases chance of deer coming in contact with it. I think winds can play a role in spread as well. Once the little bastards bites a host cow, the winds can push those little bastards a long way from host cattle. But as a whole, the closer you are to cattle the increased chance of killing your deer. Only way we will stop the spread is herd immunity. The cattle farmer is not going to vaccinate his herd. So as long as the cattle carry it, it will be spread. And most cattle farmers also raise crops and hate the deer. So to the cattle farmers I know, this disease is a great thing.

Dang it!!!!! Last type of post I wanted to see tonight. Sorry!!!!!! What state? & like above- are there cattle around???

This is a HUGE topic to unpack…. Let’s start here…. “What’s practical for prevention” if a guy wanted to try things…. Based on countless amounts of research, trial and dealing with a lot of “experts” (Veternarians, biologists, captive deer breeders, etc) this is feedback…. If it’s legal of course. Not telling anyone to do this but this is feedback I’ve got….
1) high quality mineral. Mix in: 2-5 lbs granulated garlic per 100 lbs. 1 lbs feed grade sulfur. (Coops & cattle places can get sulfur. Online u can buy bulk gran garlic). Mix in 2-5 lbs molasses. Then top dress with more molasses. Long story short: helps deer from biting insects. 2nd: increases vascularity (to cool down) anti-inflammatory ability & immune system to deal with ehd if it does infect.
2) ivermectin or cydectin on corn &/or mixed in mineral. Any cow, deer, etc that eats this….. has 30+ days where any biting insect that bites them dies. This doesn’t stop an animal from getting bit BUT it does stop continual transmission as any biting insect dies that bites ivermectin treated animals. If a guy could magically treat cattle with ivermectin- this really would likely SLOW all of this or stop it timed right.
3) with above - natural immunity is the long term solution. The challenge is all the serotype variations. So- it will just take a while. Probably decades. Natural immunity will happen most likely to some degree but in meantime- stuff like #1 & #2 worth considering. & yes, u can do 1 & 2 while also building immunity at same time.

I personally think fogging & treating water are a waste of time. IMO. Both above are really cheap & pretty easy.

For full disclosure…. Sure, this brings up the cwd can of worms. Make your own decisions & reference the laws. IMHO, based on all the research I’ve done….. one schmuck’s bottom line in my own head is this (remember - just one dumb guys opinion)…. 1) CWD will continue with nothing solving a thing until there’s a cure. Period. Prions stay in soil forever & without a cure- every known plan & approach will do nothing long term aside from a CURE! Run any scenario you want- follow any approach to the end of the “set goal” (eradicate deer for 50 years for example) …. With prions in soil forever - requires a cure to solve.
2) CWD resistant deer. Controversial but read up. Also - HUMIC ACID to kill prions. Read up there. Possibly a cure??? Or treatment. Maybe???
3) this one schmuck still doesn’t believe CWD is wiping herds out or will. I see 50-90% wipeouts from ehd. EHD & CWD are both new diseases in the sense that both have 1st been reported since 1950’s on EHD/BT & 1960’s on CWD. One of them is wiping herds out- one is not, IMO.

Good luck. I hate this crap!!!!!!!!!! Sorry!!!!

Reactions: J_P
Queue the novel from Skip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like a bad link
What state and if Iowa what general part of Iowa? Just curious. Illinois I assume? Anyone seeing EHD in Iowa this year?
Dang it!!!!! Last type of post I wanted to see tonight. Sorry!!!!!! What state? & like above- are there cattle around???

This is a HUGE topic to unpack…. Let’s start here…. “What’s practical for prevention” if a guy wanted to try things…. Based on countless amounts of research, trial and dealing with a lot of “experts” (Veternarians, biologists, captive deer breeders, etc) this is feedback…. If it’s legal of course. Not telling anyone to do this but this is feedback I’ve got….
1) high quality mineral. Mix in: 2-5 lbs granulated garlic per 100 lbs. 1 lbs feed grade sulfur. (Coops & cattle places can get sulfur. Online u can buy bulk gran garlic). Mix in 2-5 lbs molasses. Then top dress with more molasses. Long story short: helps deer from biting insects. 2nd: increases vascularity (to cool down) anti-inflammatory ability & immune system to deal with ehd if it does infect.
2) ivermectin or cydectin on corn &/or mixed in mineral. Any cow, deer, etc that eats this….. has 30+ days where any biting insect that bites them dies. This doesn’t stop an animal from getting bit BUT it does stop continual transmission as any biting insect dies that bites ivermectin treated animals. If a guy could magically treat cattle with ivermectin- this really would likely SLOW all of this or stop it timed right.
3) with above - natural immunity is the long term solution. The challenge is all the serotype variations. So- it will just take a while. Probably decades. Natural immunity will happen most likely to some degree but in meantime- stuff like #1 & #2 worth considering. & yes, u can do 1 & 2 while also building immunity at same time.

I personally think fogging & treating water are a waste of time. IMO. Both above are really cheap & pretty easy.

For full disclosure…. Sure, this brings up the cwd can of worms. Make your own decisions & reference the laws. IMHO, based on all the research I’ve done….. one schmuck’s bottom line in my own head is this (remember - just one dumb guys opinion)…. 1) CWD will continue with nothing solving a thing until there’s a cure. Period. Prions stay in soil forever & without a cure- every known plan & approach will do nothing long term aside from a CURE! Run any scenario you want- follow any approach to the end of the “set goal” (eradicate deer for 50 years for example) …. With prions in soil forever - requires a cure to solve.
2) CWD resistant deer. Controversial but read up. Also - HUMIC ACID to kill prions. Read up there. Possibly a cure??? Or treatment. Maybe???
3) this one schmuck still doesn’t believe CWD is wiping herds out or will. I see 50-90% wipeouts from ehd. EHD & CWD are both new diseases in the sense that both have 1st been reported since 1950’s on EHD/BT & 1960’s on CWD. One of them is wiping herds out- one is not, IMO.

Good luck. I hate this crap!!!!!!!!!! Sorry!!!!
I should have started with the state - I'm in eastern IL and western IN. Apologies for the scare to all you hawkeyes. Wouldn't wish EHD on the worst.

The cow idea is very interesting and makes sense. The eastern boarder of this hit place shares a crick bed with a couple hundred black angus and has for several generations. Other properties of mine that are in isolated ag areas with no cows for miles have never experienced it to my knowledge. Is this something you'd take into consideration when deciding which farms to hold vs sell? This is the 3rd time now this place has been built back close to where it was and then boom. Pretty cruel deal

The garlic and sulfur concoction is very interesting. Question is, has anyone actually done it and will they actually consume it? What happens to it with a rain? If you can leech garlic into the soil like mineral, I'll have Thermacell out of business in no time!!

Regarding the link, Skip is Sligh1 so you got part of the novel already. Search this site for "garlic" for several other threads on the topic.

Sorry to hear about your farm.

The cattle carry the disease. The fly just spreads it. Drought increase’s fly hatch which increases chance of deer coming in contact with it. I think winds can play a role in spread as well. Once the little bastards bites a host cow, the winds can push those little bastards a long way from host cattle. But as a whole, the closer you are to cattle the increased chance of killing your deer. Only way we will stop the spread is herd immunity. The cattle farmer is not going to vaccinate his herd. So as long as the cattle carry it, it will be spread. And most cattle farmers also raise crops and hate the deer. So to the cattle farmers I know, this disease is a great thing.
Fauci has recommended that all cattle get the shot and stay 6 feet apart. Based on science!

Looks like a bad link

I should have started with the state - I'm in eastern IL and western IN. Apologies for the scare to all you hawkeyes. Wouldn't wish EHD on the worst.

The cow idea is very interesting and makes sense. The eastern boarder of this hit place shares a crick bed with a couple hundred black angus and has for several generations. Other properties of mine that are in isolated ag areas with no cows for miles have never experienced it to my knowledge. Is this something you'd take into consideration when deciding which farms to hold vs sell? This is the 3rd time now this place has been built back close to where it was and then boom. Pretty cruel deal

The garlic and sulfur concoction is very interesting. Question is, has anyone actually done it and will they actually consume it? What happens to it with a rain? If you can leech garlic into the soil like mineral, I'll have Thermacell out of business in no time!!
I know countless guys that have added garlic to mineral for years. Kent mineral actually makes a cattle mineral that has garlic in it. It works very well IMO. Tons of data on uses for sheep, cattle, horses, etc- it works. Deer eat it. Not to mention all the other benefits of deer not being covered in ticks all year.

Responding to the OP posed question? Nothing... EHD is a natural way to keep deer herds in check. Similar to distemper for raccoon and other critters.

Responding to the OP posed question? Nothing... EHD is a natural way to keep deer herds in check. Similar to distemper for raccoon and other critters.
I disagree to some extent. It does kill off populations but…. It’s not “natural” in the sense that deer have always had to deal with all these strains. Most have been brought over from Europe, asia, etc. First documented case in 50’s. These strains/serotypes that have hit in last 5 years- whitetail have never been exposed to those before. Why it’s so deadly. Herds that were “in check” & even at “low population levels” got pummeled.
On flip side, I can understand guys who want to do nothing. I can also understand guys that want to try and assist so they dont lose the deer herd. No right or wrong on what u decide IMO.

Top Bottom