Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Elevated groun blinds

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
I am planning on elevating a few double bulls this summer. Have any of you done this, and how did it go? Would you do it again, or just build permanent blinds?

FWIW: I built a 10' platform once for an Ameristep blind. It didn't like being up in the wind very well. Built a permanent blind on the platform instead. Since then have built another (& bought 2 more) permanents.

I haven't, but have wondered about elevating my Ameristep. I'm just not sure about being able to shoot out of it. Only has windows in the top half of the blind, not the bottom half like some do, so I'm sure I would be limited on how high I could go and get a shot within range. Wind may be a factor. I've seen hub blinds on platforms before, but haven't ever talked to anyone about how they like it. Must work since they do it year after year. But then again, they may have openings in the bottom half to get the angle they need.

They work ok but I'd prefer a permanent blind. They move around if it's windy and hard to shoot out of. Permanent blind are easier to customize the inside and having a solid base to rest the gun on when shooting is nice. I stay warm and dry in my permanent blind but couldn't always say that about a pop up.

I did it one year. It is really hard on them and once you get them up there it isn't like it is really easy to get them down. I lost 2 of them in the wind and decided it was time to put something permanent up - plus now I stay a hell of a lot warmer...

Well you guys are all just a buzz kill!!

You are reinforcing all of the concerns that I had about it. Back to the drawing board I guess.

I have using plastic water tanks on platforms and they work out very well. I have used several sizes from 500 gal, to 1500 gal. I paid $75 for the 500 and $300 for the 1000 Gal. Here are a few pics. showing what I do.

gifs upload

I first cut down one side of the door and install a piano hinge. I then cut out the rest of the door and brace both sides of the door with 5/4 X 6 treated deck boards. I then install a makeshift door latch.
Then I install the seat so I know how high to cut windows. I might add I do all my shooting from The sitting position.

upload jpg

I cut out the windows and frame them in using the 5/4 x 6 wood. Then I add a piece of plexiglass hinged at the bottom and a hasp at the top.

image hosting

image upload no resize

image sharing sites

Sorry for corrupting your post Gundog870 but I just wanted to give you a couple of fairly cheap ideas for an elevated blind. Here is a 500 gallon sitting on a 12 ft. tower. This blind was light enough that 4 of us raised it by hand from the back of a pickup.

image upload no ads

If your interested in these tank blinds let me know. I'm looking across the field at 2 1000 gallon tanks that have sat behind the barn for 7 yrs. I can see if the neighbor wants to part with them.

Sorry for the hijack...but I have a used 1500 gallon poly tank that I would sell to someone if they wanted to make a blind out of it. I originally bought it to make a blind out of it, but since that hasn't happened yet, I think I will sell it.

Those are excellent pics of how to install the windows in a circular shaped blind, going to borrow that when we convert some old feed bins to blinds!

Not to completely take this thread down a different path but here is a link to a new water tank, 1000 gallon and it's 6' in diameter. nearly 5' 6" tall. New they are about $520. For that price even they aren't bad! Considering all you have to do is cut in windows and a door. That's super simple and pretty reasonable for making your own blind! Especially considering you don't have to worry about building a roof, floor, frame, how to side it, etc.

1000 gallon water tank

We put my father inlaws pop-up up on a platform a few years back. It worked just fine and we had no issues with it. I wouldn't leave it up year 'round or anything because a winter full of snow will definitely damage things.

After a few years of using the pop-up my father inlaw came across a bunch of free material and we built a permanent blind up on the platform.

Something that occurred to me...if you are going to put a soft sided blind on a pedestal I would consider doing something in the way of railings in case a hunter leans into the side of the blind, etc, and takes an unexpected tumble.

Top Bottom