Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Email from Loebsack / Tax credit for game donation

mplane72

PMA Member
Just got this….

Dear Friend,

It’s no secret that two things that make many of us who we are as Iowans are our passion for hunting and generosity to giving to those in need. That’s why I wanted to share with you that recently I became an original cosponsor of H.R. 3728, the Wild Game Donation Act of 2013. This bill would provide hunters with a tax deduction for the costs associated with donating meat from wild game to food banks, as well as a tax credit for meat processors participating in the program.

As someone who grew up hunting in Northwest Iowa and was raised by my single mother and my grandmother who often relied on food assistance, I know that every little bit helps. This bill will help ensure that more food for those in need is available and prevent valuable food resources from going to waste.

With Iowa’s rich history of hunting and taking care of our neighbors, this is a commonsense bill that gives the deserved credit to many Iowans already donating to those in need. In 2012, Iowa hunters donated 5,281 deer that provided over 800,000 meals to needy families according to Help Us Stop Hunger (HUSH) from the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

We often say that Iowa feeds the world because of our strong agricultural products. I strongly believe that’s the case. I also believe that we must make sure we feed Iowans in need who we often never realize live in our communities or are our neighbors and that Iowa hunters should be recognized and supported for the role they play in that effort.

Sincerely,

Dave Loebsack
Iowa's Second District

I have expressed my over all dislike of the HUSH program here in the past so of course my initial reaction to this is not positive…. Unless, I can write off my bows, guns and such. Fat Chance!

Not good ....so now ppl will just do whack a deer to get the break...and who cares if can write off hunt equipment if there not even deer to hunt the gear will do no good ....

So I am lost how does a 1 dollar tax deduction that most people won't take the time to right off cause people to shoot more deer. Please explain.

sent from super hunters I phone

As we know,,"There are always, TOO MANY DEER in IOWA".:mad:

A co-worker the other day who doesn't hunt asked me how my season has gone. I told him I haven't gotten anything this year and he acted shocked and said 'why'? I said that I only try and shoot older bucks and I'm not shooting does this year due to the EHD outbreak and low deer sightings. He said, 'that's strange because there are deer everywhere!' Which, where he lives, there are a lot of deer...in the city.

I'm going to apply for urban tags next year for doe meat.

A co-worker the other day who doesn't hunt asked me how my season has gone. I told him I haven't gotten anything this year and he acted shocked and said 'why'? I said that I only try and shoot older bucks and I'm not shooting does this year due to the EHD outbreak and low deer sightings. He said, 'that's strange because there are deer everywhere!' Which, where he lives, there are a lot of deer...in the city.

I'm going to apply for urban tags next year for doe meat.

One of my co-workers keeps telling me about a herd of deer they see in city limits too and always follows up by saying how she wishes I could hunt there. It's not in one of the approved hunting areas in town, so wouldn't be able to even if I knew the right people to get access. Oh well.

This is a federal bill. I don't know what it would do for a hunter. Deduct the $1.00 fee you pay for a tag? Looks to be more beneficial to the processor if anything.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr3728/text

Is the $1.00 for sure all that you could deduct? I've always thought if they wanted to increase the number of deer donated to HUSH they should just pay back the hunter for the tag. If you could deduct the entire cost of the tag, I could see this increasing the number donated. Just think of the increased sales of equipment they would generate if you could write off the cost of the equipment too!

I usually fall into the standard deduction anyway, so I probably wouldn't get the benefit.

Top Bottom