Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Enclosed Blinds???

I've never hunted from an enclosed blind before, as I have never gun hunted for deer. BUT, it seems more and more people are using them for bowhunting now.

Most of our deer activity during the daylight is down in the back valley. We have a stand down there but the wind can really swirl at any time and shoot down the valley, no good.

My questions are these...

Would an enclosed blind work down there?

Are there any that are almost entirely sealed that let our no or very little scent?

Just curious on others experiences and recommendations. Thanks, Mark.

Enclosed Blind? Yea,, they are more and more popular. Heaters in there,Hot coffe on the stove, TV, talking on the Smart Phone. Whatever happened to facing the elements? Becoming one with nature. Blending into the woods? Just kidding...

Check out redneck and banks blinds. I just bought a cheaper version for my dad and I can say a 5 foot diameter is a major pain to Bowhunt from. The key to scent control is the windows. Glass seals much better than any plastic I've seen. Make sure you put rubber or carpet on the floor to dampen noise.

Enclosed Blind? Yea,, they are more and more popular. Heaters in there,Hot coffe on the stove, TV, talking on the Smart Phone. Whatever happened to facing the elements? Becoming one with nature. Blending into the woods? Just kidding...

Scent control.

We have a redneck blind and a shadow hunter.. I really like the windows on the shadow hunter vs. the redneck blind... however, I am 6'1"-6-2"ish... and honestly there is only about 1 spot out each window I can shoot of the blinds..Its just to hard for angles for a bigger person (my bro in law is about 5-9 or 5-10 and has no problems he says) Obviously they are never fully scent proof as you have to open a window to shoot anyway..but as I said, the shadow hunter windows take the cake in that department vs redneck... just my 2 cents... The shadow hunter came from the local Fleet Farm..

Would it work- absolutely. There are pros and cons to using a ground blind vs tree stand but get a decent ground blind and put some Brush on it around a well used path. It's pretty exciting when a deer pops his/her head in a window to smell. Makes bow hunting even more up close and personal Idk about the tv- hot chocolate- smart phones etc but that sounds pretty awesome to me:).

I have shadow hunter 6' with archery windows and LickCreek 7' blinds. The windows in both are awesome. I like different features of each blind but the quiet and easy to open windows of the Lickcreek are way nice.

We have a redneck blind and a shadow hunter.. I really like the windows on the shadow hunter vs. the redneck blind... however, I am 6'1"-6-2"ish... and honestly there is only about 1 spot out each window I can shoot of the blinds..Its just to hard for angles for a bigger person (my bro in law is about 5-9 or 5-10 and has no problems he says) Obviously they are never fully scent proof as you have to open a window to shoot anyway..but as I said, the shadow hunter windows take the cake in that department vs redneck... just my 2 cents... The shadow hunter came from the local Fleet Farm..

Do you have the 'archery windows' on the corners of your shadow hunter? I'm thinking of getting one/some and want some real-life input before shelling out that much $$.

Shadow Hunter blinds are nice but I just ordered what I believe is a far better blind... Hunter Comfort Archer blinds. ( They have combo blinds too) ...Watch the video on construction of the blind. ....I am 6'-1" and no problem drawing bow...totally quiet, scent proof, WARM, and great windows.....Goggle "Hunter Comfort Blinds"....you won't be disappointed ...Shipping cost from North Carolina to Iowa can be pricey....If you and friends put together a full order for 7 blinds shipping cost per blind is reduced...that's what I did.

Not sure where your located?? But lick creek blinds have the best windows for shooting a bow out of!!

I googled Lick Creek, but didn't see they had a website. I did find a link to a PDF that actually had an iowawhitetail.com address, but the pics of that blind didn't look like it would work very well at all for shooting a bow out of. I assume they have different configurations for size & windows? I sure like the idea of supporting an Iowa company.
I've sat in a number of different blinds & the long, narrow 'archery windows' seem to be the best for me to shoot out of.

Redneck Blinds

We have six Redneck blinds that we hunt out of mainly during late muzzy, but a few times throughout bow season as well. As far as the comfortability I love them. They are awesome to hunt out of on cold, windy days. If the sun is out at all it will warm up the inside like crazy due to the black interior. As for scent control, we treat them just like a stand. Gotta hunt them when the wind is right or else you're going to get busted. I've gotten busted out of them before by a few does who walked where they shouldn't have been walking. This was with ALL the windows closed. So if your main reason for buying them is hoping for better scent control, do not do that. It's too expensive and you're no better off than you are in a stand. Your thermals build up in there and get pushed out just like in a stand. There is no way to make a blind 100% sealed and scent free. I would definitely recommend getting one just for how nice they are to hunt out of, but don't buy thinking it will solve scent control issues.

Shadow Hunter blinds are nice but I just ordered what I believe is a far better blind... Hunter Comfort Archer blinds. ( They have combo blinds too) ...Watch the video on construction of the blind. ....I am 6'-1" and no problem drawing bow...totally quiet, scent proof, WARM, and great windows.....Goggle "Hunter Comfort Blinds"....you won't be disappointed ...Shipping cost from North Carolina to Iowa can be pricey....If you and friends put together a full order for 7 blinds shipping cost per blind is reduced...that's what I did.

What were the prices that you got for the Hunter Comfort Blinds?

I googled Lick Creek, but didn't see they had a website. I did find a link to a PDF that actually had an iowawhitetail.com address, but the pics of that blind didn't look like it would work very well at all for shooting a bow out of. I assume they have different configurations for size & windows? I sure like the idea of supporting an Iowa company. I've sat in a number of different blinds & the long, narrow 'archery windows' seem to be the best for me to shoot out of.
Call Jim order the windows however you want them. Great people.

I have several blind turtle's that came out of Ohio and they work fine for bow hunting but my new blind from Lick creek is far superior!!! Lick creek will build the windows to your specs!!! They are by far the best built blind I've ran a crossed and there windows are very weather proof!!! They also have 3 or 4 different tints of windows and you can choose how ever you would like them or so on. For example I went with clear ones up front and shaded ones towards the rear. Like I said options are your to decide!!!

We have six Redneck blinds that we hunt out of mainly during late muzzy, but a few times throughout bow season as well. As far as the comfortability I love them. They are awesome to hunt out of on cold, windy days. If the sun is out at all it will warm up the inside like crazy due to the black interior. As for scent control, we treat them just like a stand. Gotta hunt them when the wind is right or else you're going to get busted. I've gotten busted out of them before by a few does who walked where they shouldn't have been walking. This was with ALL the windows closed. So if your main reason for buying them is hoping for better scent control, do not do that. It's too expensive and you're no better off than you are in a stand. Your thermals build up in there and get pushed out just like in a stand. There is no way to make a blind 100% sealed and scent free. I would definitely recommend getting one just for how nice they are to hunt out of, but don't buy thinking it will solve scent control issues.

Agree. If air gets out, scent gets out. Probably wouldn't want to sit very long in a 100% air tight container, unless you have an alternative oxygen supply. Still gotta get there too, so you will leave ground scent just like getting to a stand. Could be part of what tipped those does off.

Well this is good to know. Thanks for the input. The whole idea was to be able to hunt in a bottom where the wind can swirl from time to time. If the enclosed blind won't help much then I need to figure out a different approach.

I agree to the extent that 100 percent might be asking a lot, but I have blinds that I have built that do allow me to hunt any wind. The weak point that needs to be addressed is the Windows. If you can feel any draft at all, you will get busted. I have probably hunted my favorite blind over 200 times since I built it and have only been busted 1 time when the wood frames on my home made Windows warped and allowed air through. I fixed that with an additional latch a few years back and have not been busted since. I just recently put one in a bottom where I know the wind will swirl. I have no doubt I will get away with hunting this blind where a stand would never work. During late season I have may have over 20 deer downwind feeding at once and they never know a thing.

Originally Posted by Medicine Man

What were the prices that you got for the Hunter Comfort Blinds?

Would love to tell you,but, HC owner asked that I not reveal price he quoted...let me just say that he will work with you depending on size of order...remember shipping can add significantly to price...we filled the truck with 7 blinds so got better price .... sure doesn't hurt to give Todd a call...he's a good guy....he just finished a hunt today in SE Iowa

Well this is good to know. Thanks for the input. The whole idea was to be able to hunt in a bottom where the wind can swirl from time to time. If the enclosed blind won't help much then I need to figure out a different approach.

My response was not to say it won't help, just agreeing that scent control while IN stand/blind is only part of the game. I do think it may help, but don't think it can get 100%. Would also help with being busted from movement. Also, it should be noted that my experience with enclosed blinds is just a couple tent/hub style pop ups that would not be as tight as most box blinds (assuming windows are closed).

Top Bottom