Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Euro Mounts

203ntyp

PMA Member
This probably was discussed before but I am looking for the best process to degrease and whiten a euro buck mount without damaging the skull. I had my 2021 buck skull cleaned with dermestid beetles and wasn't sure if I need to degrease it before whitening?

For best results, use warm water and dawn dish soap. Use the clear kind. Some use an aquarium heater to keep the water warm but not hot. You will see grease balls float up. The process can take weeks. After the grease is gone then you can whiten.

I've always seen it to be one heck of a nasty long drawn out process. If someone has all the right equipment and the extra time to do everything necessary to produce a beautiful clean white euro then that is awesome! I decided awhile back that spending a little cash and drop the head off with a euro skull boiling wizard and be done with it all very quickly and much easier IMO

fill a storage tub with hot water and dawn. drop your skull in there and use an air gun under the water to "air boil" the grease out of all the crevice's Take your time and be sure to get the nasal cavity well. Apply your 40 volume bleach and whitening crème you got a Sally's beauty supply and mixed to a paste with a small brush, wrap in saran wrap and hang it over your Mr. buddy heater. Rotate it every so often to heat evenly. It should be hot enough hat when you remove the saran wrap, it's steaming. rinse of and let dry.. Don't get any on the rack!

I use an old "turkey boiler"- put it in with dawn dish shop, slow boil for 30 mins, hit it with the power washer and are spotless. I dont whiten mine up, just do natural look

It has to be something that you want to do. If not then you should get someone who is good at it to do it for you.
I like the process so I do my own. For the decreasing stage I simmer in water with a healthy dose of Arm & Hammer super washing soda for about 45 minutes. For whitening I immerse the skull up to the burrs in 29% hydrogen peroxide for a couple days followed by a peroxide / magnesium carbonate paste.

Top Bottom