Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Failed brassicas to rye, need input

skyleralan

PMA Member
OK guys, went out today to pulled cards and looked at my plots. Clover looks great, one brassica plot looks so-so, and the one that looked the best early on is GONE. Literally, it washed away! All that is left behind is a few marginal spots and now lots of weeds. So, I am thinking of discing it under and drilling in some rye.

To say I am let down is an understatement! This plot looked AMAZING early on crazy how things can change in 3 weeks!!!

So, what would you guys do just disc and drill in rye or would you recommend I just spray the plot and drill the rye in? I put down nitrogen on this plot with the original mix of brassicas right after they were planted. Wasn't sure if the rye would benefit from tilling it under.

Also, what is the latest I can get the rye in. I know mid September is optimal, but I am looking at more like Sept. 18-22.

I'm bummed!!! I am afraid my one good plot will be rained out too with the forecast! It already looks stressed with standing water in the very bottom!

That's how it works it's an expensive hobby. I have different brassica plots in all different conditions. It just depended on the soil they were in and how well it drained. I had a 1 acre plot that was a complete failure. The rain just pounded the crap out of it. I would've taken last year's weather for the brassica plots over this years any day. On the flip-side everything else looks excellent, corn, beans, clover. I've got almost $400 in seed sitting in the back my truck right now ready to get in the ground but it's to wet. A stray shower yesterday afternoon dumped over an inch on our farm. That's why it is important to diversify as much as possible. Luckily there's plenty of time to get cereal grains in and as long as you get a stretch of dry weather. If all else fails I Will just broadcast the Rye and call it good.

Last edited:
If you got means to drill the cereal grains in and then spray that's what I would do. But disking will work just fine as well.

Last edited:
That's how it works it's an expensive hobby. I have different brassica plots in all different conditions. It just depended on the soil they were in and how well it drained. I had a 1 acre plot that was a complete failure. The rain just pounded the crap out of it. I would've taken last year's weather for the brassica plots over this years any day. Ob the flip-side everything else looks excellent. Corn, beans, clover. I've got almost $400 in seed sitting on the back my truck right now ready to get in the ground but it's too wet. A stray shower yesterday afternoon dumped over an inch on our farm that's why it is important to diversify as much as possible. Luckily there's plenty of time to get cereal grains in and as long as you get a stretch of dry weather. If all else fails I Will just broadcast the Rye and call it good.

LOL, no I get it! Still sucks though!

Looks like more rain forecast for this week. Now, scared I won't be able to disc at all before missing my window.

Any chance I can just Round-Up the plot and drill my rye?

If you are just planting grain rye only, without all the other components of a normal cereal mix, I would just spray it and broadcast. It grows incredibly well by just broadcasting. Put it on heavy and you will have a green carpet. We have been lucky down here. Our brassicas plots are doing incredible. Best I have seen in several years.

Top Bottom