Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

fall bow season

BT
Just read your post,right in the middle
of shotgun season...so the turkeys are probably stirred up a bit, unless you have some private land that hasn't received much pressure.Turkeys are grouped up in large flocks this time of year and will remain that way until next spring with the onset of the breeding season.This time of year they are fairly predictable and will tend to roost in the same area and follow a similar pattern each day.If you can locate a roost sight,pretty good chance they will return the next day unless something disturbs them. I try and set up between roost sights and feeding areas or at their roost site in late afternoon (usually one opportunity).I use a Double Blind, which in my opinion is the best thing ever created for bowhunting turkeys.I know they can be shot with a bow not using a blind...but I could never get it done...couldn't get to fulldraw with all those eyes watching!I usually set up with 2 decoys,yelping,kee keeing(not very well I might add) and scratching the leaves every so often.

I had a huge flock patterned like never before during last month, but I didn't shoot my bow buck until the 25th and wasn't able to get back out before shotgun started the 1st.I even heard gobbles 4 different mornings...but they would always fly down and go the other way...then around 4:30 they would start showing back up and start fly-up,one at a time...I'll be back out there the 17th...hope their still using that roost sight!

Good Luck
TB

whenever i fall hunt i usually just try and get a group of turks patterned well enough to be able to ambush them when they fly up for the roost. most flocks roost in the same area every night where i hunt so it's pretty simple. if you can find where they're feeding you're set, just set up there and wait, decoys aren't really necessary but sometimes work. if that doesn't work i'll bust a flock and set up using a "kee kee" call. if that doesn't work we have actually drove large flocks of young turkeys like deer during shotgun season. if you get enough guys you have to move super slow so they just keep moving just ahead of you. granted that doesn't work all the time. =) of course you might not want to do the last technique with shotguns.

Top Bottom