Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fall Planting Suggestions

OneCam

I am looking for some suggestions for this years fall food plots. I have about 1 1/2 acre plot that I will be planting. My question is what should I plant??

The plot location is adjacent to a 1/2 acre of beans, CRP and a strip of clover the edges the timber. I also have a 3 acre food plot of beans about 100 yards away.

What are your suggestions for a fall food plot - I may even split this plot into to two plantings.

My goals is to attract deer well after the first frost.

Thanks in advance.

Im not sure what time you plant them but turnips are awesome. The deer wont eat them until the sugars in them freeze. I seen a guy who had them planted in between corn rows for the deer. There was hundreds of deer in that thing.

Onecam we have had good success with Buck Forage Oats. Easy to plant and pretty hearty as well. We plant them in late August or early September and before November they are usually 4-6" tall. When an oat plant is that short I am told that it is fairly sweet and the deer love them. The plant will die after a real hard very cold frost. Over Thanksgiving last year we had 20-30 deer feeding in our plot every evening. Good Luck!

keep the answers coming as I will be needing the same advise. Seems to me one good one that was talked a lot about earlier hasn't made this thread yet. What about the winter rye or wheat???

ONecam,
I'd ask for a little more info. Is this spot something that you want to replant yearly? Does it need to be ready to hunt this year? Rye would work great I'm sure as I always mention it too. What about making a bigger clover plot? Doesn't have to be replanted each year that way. Also for something like that an alfalfa stand will attract fairly late & even get them digging under the snow for it.

I have planted oats in mid august with awesome results. The area that I was planting was brome grass to start with. I did not have the money for chemicals to kill it off so I plowed it, disked it about 2 weeks later and planted oats. Then the following spring disked it again and planted a cover crop of oats, with a clover mix. You will just need some rain and when the weather cools in the fall and the oats will come on great. My oats were about 6 inches tall and the only green thing around and the deer went nuts for them. During shotgun season we saw 40 plus deer on 1 acre and half a dozen were bucks. I have also had good luck with biologic's perennial blends, which are most likely to late to plant now, just another option, but kinda expensive.

BRASSICUS, BRASSICUS, BRASSICUS!!!!!!!!this stuff is by far the best on the market today! i promise you won't be sorry! can't express to you how well this stuff works!
waytogo.gif
peace.gif

Pharmer, I was planning to replant this plot each as it will be next to a total of 3 acres of clover. I was looking for an annual food that will compliment the beans & the clover while hopefully attracting deer into late season.

Brassica's do seem like the way to go - currently I'm thinking I should plant 1/2 Turnips and 1/2 Oats or possibly Biologic Maxim.

Any other thoughts??

Thanks again

Onecam- it may be a big enough piece to split three ways & you could have your own little test plot. I'm not sure what soil prep & conditions are needed for turnips, brassicas, & the Biologic products but that may be a factor too. If you are going to replant yearly then seed cost also is a factor. I spent about $8/acre on rye seed last fall- rain was timed perfect for once & it produced a great stand. Rye doesn't seem to be picky about soil pH either. I'd be interested to hear for others what they figure it costs to seed an acre with their choices.

Top Bottom