Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fall plantings

bigbuckhunter88

PMA Member
Alright so typically I'm not permitted to plant on my private properties. However this year, the cows are coming off of part of the pasture this week and I got the okay to either burn or partially til part of a pasture to plant something. I know nothing about plots as I haven't been allowed them. Any advice is welcome. Trying to get the best advice the fastest as I'm assuming time is of the essence. After some quick searching I'm guessing a cereal grain/clover/turnip mix might be the way to go. But I'm basically clueless.
Thanks in advance

I am a fan of Oats, rye, peas, and radish. Easy to plant, good forage and easy to grow. Sometimes I add a little forage beans.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

oats rye winter wheat,,,good for Sept,,BUt,,and with the weather a big BUT,,it's gotta start Raining again. I have seen Septembers so dry I couldnt get rye to germ. Dry Pattern ongong now for Iowa. 85% is on the drought Monitor. I know I am just the Dry Guy,,but it is DRY!

oats rye winter wheat,,,good for Sept,,BUt,,and with the weather a big BUT,,it's gotta start Raining again. I have seen Septembers so dry I couldnt get rye to germ. Dry Pattern ongong now for Iowa. 85% is on the drought Monitor. I know I am just the Dry Guy,,but it is DRY!
I spit on rye in the back of my pickup once and it germinated.

Funny,,but I am not fooling. Two Septembers I could not get enough precip to grow some Rye. Most of Iowa is dry now. Maybe Sept- will see a change? Maybe not. I already have a failed Brass plot from lack of moisture. I figure I would probably see as many deer without all the sweat and effort of plots actually.

I'm not overly concerned about water. Were droughted up pretty bad but I have access to a trash pump and the creek is within 30 yards if it needs it once

Last edited:
Top Bottom