Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Farm Bureau Article

Critter

Life Member
I received my Spokesman in the mail yesterday and on the front page was a referral to an article inside addressing the population of the deer herd in Iowa, and legislators plans to reduce it. I immediately assumed it would be another article similiar to those published recently in the Des Moines Register, but to my surprise, and in my opinion, was just the opposite. Mr. Johnson's article addressed the issues at hand with a sensible understanding of how things should be done the right way, involving the IADNR and the HUSH program. I spoke with him briefly this morning and commended him on writing an article that doesn't seem to be based on big business and money alone.
Below is the article from the Iowa Farm Bureau Spokesman, copied with permission from IFB.

Iowa legislators addressing deer overpopulation

Posted:1/24/2005 10:19:17 AM

By Dale Johnson

State legislators are targeting methods to reduce Iowas growing deer herd and the increased number of deer-automobile accidents.

Deer struck by automobiles caused $60 million in damages last year, Bob Skow, with the Independent Insurance Agents of Iowa, told the Iowa House Natural Resources Committee last week.

Its increased the last three years, about 10 percent per year, he said of accidents that now exceed 15,000 annually.

The statistics do not include long-haul trucks and school bus accidents involving deer, nor other collisions that are not reported to officials because of high deductibles.

The data also do not include the costs of physical injuries, which are rising, he said.

Deer are also causing extensive damage to farm crops. In a 2002 survey, 67 percent of the respondents said the deer population is too high, up 15 percent from a 1996 survey. Twenty-seven percent said in 2002 that deer damage was unacceptable, with 75 percent reporting deer damage to crops.

The data developed by the automobile insurance industry and Farm Bureau do not reflect another statistic, the 10 Iowans killed in deer-automobile accidents in 2003.

Were in agreement the deer herd needs to be more in balance, said Jeff Vonk, director of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

Insurance industry officials and the DNR estimate that Iowas deer herd needs to be reduced by 25 percent.

DNR plan

Vonk thinks the DNR has developed a plan to accomplish the goal while still providing valuable recreational hunting.

For the 2004 hunting season, the DNR issued about 28,000 additional deer licenses. Of this, 23,000 were anterless-only licenses, pushing the number available to 84,000. Deer hunters bought 73,729 of the 84,000 anterless-only licenses, he said.

This is expected to increase the deer harvest nearly 17,000 and raise the doe harvest by 13,000.

We believe this will cut the deer herd 25 percent10 percent this season (2004-05) and 20-25 percent after the 2005 deer season, Vonk said based upon DNR simulations.

The department sold all anterless-only licenses available in 72 counties. If needed, additional licenses could be issued next year.

However, 26 counties saw less than one-half of the anterless-only licenses sold in 2004.

The DNR started a hunter registry program to link hunters with landowners if the hunter would harvest only does. Vonk said 800 hunters signed up on the registry, but very few were contacted by landowners.

One problem is that landowners are reluctant to call a stranger and ask them to hunt, he said.

Expand HUSH

Vonk also said the department wants to expand its Help Us Stop Hunger (HUSH) program, started in 2003 with a $10,000 contribution by Farm Bureau and Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance. Does shot are donated to the Food Bank of Iowa and other partners.

Local meat-processing lockers are paid $50 per deer for processing.

More than 1,600 deer were donated through HUSH in 2003. (2004 data are not yet available.)

In 2004, the HUSH quota was increased to 2,000 deer. But Vonk said they will deplete all funds for processing deer. More money is needed to expand the program statewide and increase the number of deer processed to 5,000, he said.

Non-resident licenses

Resident hunters will purchase nearly 322,000 licenses during the 2004-05 season. Non-residents, however, can purchase only 6,000 licenses, filling only one-half of the applications received.

Vonk said the department wants authority to raise non-resident licenses to 8,000 for the 2005 season and to have authority to set the non-resident anterless-only quota as needed. More archery licenses would also be issued in northeast and southern Iowa.

This would still be below the opportunities that Iowans have to hunt deer in other states, he said.

That's better treatment than we have been getting from DM Register.All in all the article was fair. Just a couple points I would like to bring up.

Cars and Deer
Stats show we are driving more miles per accident.

Crop Damage
Deer really get a bad rap on this one. DNR study shows deer blamed for a lot of damage by turkey and coons.

HUSH
How about the $5000 the IBA gave that year.

I agree with you on those points Randy. I would have to guess most farmers polled aren't going to say that they don't have any crop damage due to deer. Kind of a loaded poll if you ask me.
I didn't exactly "agree" with everything he had to say, but I was happy with the fact that the majority of the article was pointed in the direction of residents handling the proplem, as opposed to mass increases of NR tags. He also stated that the HUSH program needs more money, and even though the IBA wasn't mentioned, at least more people are aware of the need for further involvement in the program. All in all, it's like you said.....fair. I'll settle for that for now.
grin.gif

CRITR

Just my opinion but the deer population is not the problem. The problem lies with the driver. People do not drive defensively enough these days. They spend to much time talking on cell phone and looking somewhere else besides the roadway. How many deer have you hit lately? I have hit only one in all my 31 years of driving. Oh yeah, I have come close a few times but I was prepard to take a defensive manuver or was driving slow enough to aviod the collision. The public, insuarance companys, and farmers need to stop blaming the deer. We as hunters this year I feel have got a good start on helping to lower the numbers. Drivers!! Pay attention!! Insuarance companys can help lend educational material to drivers ed instructors, and farmers can do their part by letting the ethical hunter hunt there ground to help eliminate the problem in their area. As a state trooper I have seen a rise in the number of vehicles and the miles driven. Can anyone tell me if any of the major insuarance companies are headed for a downward spiral because they don't take in enough money to cover their losses. They want to use the deer as a excuse to pass on higher premiums to those of us who do drive in a defensive manner. Man I can't believe I said all of this. I hope it makes sense. If not oh well! At least I don't have the attitude I have overheard in some discussions this fall from some of the local farmers sitting around the coffee tables. "Kill them all" they say quite often. Let those of us who understand the problem, take care of the problem. If you ask the average person in Iowa how many deer they think are in the state they usually guess anywhere from 500 thousand to over a million. They have no idea! I bet you a serious hunter could tell you and I'll bet that number is a whole lot less than 500 thousand.
Ask your legislator if he knows! I bet you he dosen't. Just my two cents!
busted.gif
busted.gif

Trper- AMEN!

I'm a deputy and like you I see my share of car/deer accidents. Have you noticed the majority involve drivers that either live in town or dont hunt? Hardly ever do I see a hunter hit a deer, because hunters know what to look for. Not too many farmers hit them either. It is usually someone whose awareness of wildlife doesnt extend beyond their backyard bird-feeder.

I also believe a number of the "deer" accidents reported to insurance co's by drivers were actually "beer" accidents, or other causes, but drivers know a deer accident wont raise their premiums. Several times I have heard the deer excuse given to me to explain someones poor driving, when I knew it was a lie.

Yes, insurance companys spend money on deer damage, but they also have an ace in the hole not afforded to most businesses. If you drive, you are legally required to purchase their product (which is a good law for everyone), despite whatever they charge. Nothing like having a captive consumer base to guarantee sucess. Don't think you'll see to many file for chapter 11 over deer.

Very True!!! Or how about the driver doing 80 mph down the interstate reading a book, putting on make up. I'm sure it's not just deer accidents,what about any accident just because people are trying to do everything BUT drive a car.

i too do not believe that deer being over populated is the problem, trpr couldn't have said it better. besides as in most cases of a car/deer collision, it ain't no different then sliding out-of-control on ice, hydroplaning on a water puddle, it's an act of god and there's no way to stop it.

My father in law is a State Farm agent and I asked him specifically to try to find #'s on deer/car collisions. He stated the number hasn't changed in the past few years, but the cost of repairs has gone WAY up, so that's why the insurance companies will often report the "cost of deer car collisions has been rising". But I agree, much better article than that in the DM register. thanks for posting Critter.

Thanks for getting a check on the numbers for us Johnnyv. I too have heard people make the comment that you can just say a deer ran out in front of you. Until now I never knew what the consequences could result in. I will be telling them to please stop making excuses for their lack of driving decisions and to step up and admit they have made a mistake.

Tracker, I just got the email from my father in law this a.m. and he said State Farm doesn't even specifically track deer/car collisions numbers, just per claim cost.
Had intended to send you a PM, but this works too!
smile.gif

Deer get a bad rap for crop damage. I used to trap & still am amazed at the damage muskrats & beaver can do to a cornfield. It's like a clear-cut forest.

[ QUOTE ]
He stated the number hasn't changed in the past few years, but the cost of repairs has gone WAY up, so that's why the insurance companies will often report the "cost of deer car collisions has been rising".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive heard that when the air bags deploy the add something like 1500$ a pop to the repair bill to have them replaced and repacked.That would add up to quite a chunk of change in itself in multiple accidents
frown.gif

...what about a premium decrease for us deer hunters shooting does?...it could be like the reduced costs for health insurance for the non-smokers!...
smirk.gif

Top Bottom