Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Favorite antler characteristics

203ntyp

PMA Member
Just wondering what are your favorite antler characteristics are on a mature buck. I've been day dreaming in anticipation and have a couple options this year.

My #1 favorite is MASS, and lots of it.
#2 would be a gnarly non-typical.
#3 would be double drop tines.
#4 would be a big clean typical 10 point.
#5 would be double main beams.
#6 would be a wide racked buck.

No1. Knarly non typical! No. 2 love big heavy 8pts. Dream buck is a net booner 8pt!! 3. Have to be drop tines !!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1. Monster typical 8pt, booner class is tough to beat.

2. Monster browtines

3. Mass

4. Junk on the bases - shot one 10 years ago or so that had 11 scoreable points on/around the bases and brows

My favorites are tall, heavy, and long beamed typicals. I have a clean 8 over 150, now just need a 10 over 160, and a 12 over 170. I don't mind them having junk, but I like it to be symmetrical. split 2's, double drops, etc. Luckily for me I'm not picky and any old ugly buck at 20 yards is in danger of being put on a wall.

Have always liked big frames. Whether he has 7,8,9 or more points give me a huge frame even if it scores less than a buck with a bunch of points that add up to more.

MASS!!!!!!! Then frame. Always reminds me of “old deer” & I’m impressed with incredible mass. Lot of spindly high scoring giants (which I shoot when old) but seeing a high scoring deer that’s heavy & truly maxed out is so cool.

BIG ones! I'll admit that I like typical more than non-typical, but if they're BIG and mature, I'll be happy boy if I get the chance to hang them on my wall. They're all so different and create their own special memory for me.

I tend to lean towards the gnarly, big massed racks with dark color. I also love a buck that has brows that curve up and in to form an arch and bladed or jagged tines. Any big deer gets me excited, but I regret not putting more effort in to chasing a couple gnarly deer over the years because there was a "higher scoring" deer to chase too.

I've got a thing for long brow tines. A big clean and heavy 8 point, with long brows would be my favorite characteristic.

I passed a big 8 last year because of weak brows. Hope he made it through and I get another option this year.

I love big typicals with long tines and main beams that sweep in. Don’t care for the beams that go straight out, lucky those are rare around me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brow tines for sure for me. They don't seem to be very common, but I love to see big tall brows. Wavy brows, cork screw, split browtines, bladed brows etc. Then probably stickers etc around bases. Mass too. Lots of beading near the bases etc. Mass really completes about any antler and can give any antler that wow factor. Other than that I've always loved seeing gnarly racks, stickers, kickers, extra points, wavy tines etc. I would take a buck with character over a clean typical any day.

Top Bottom