Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Favorite Shrubs: browse, screening, and cover

Habitat1

On my next spring project, I'm thinking of planting shrubs for a few different purposes and was looking to get some opinions.
1) was thinking of using them to supplement some cedars (just now planting) for some screening cover. In these areas, it seems the taller, the thicker and the least preference for deer browse would seem to be the best type. I was also going to be trying some switchgrass strips for some screening. If it helps the purpose of the screening is mainly getting around with less disturbance/detection-our own vehicles/side by side on the lane and walking around fields to/from stands. So taller is probably better, but its not the public road sitting higher than the field situation I know most plant trees for.
2) was thinking of planting shrubs along tree lines to add some browse/soft edge, in addition to some edge feathering I'd also like to do.

I know there's a lot of different varieties out there so was just looking for opinions if others have experimented with different types of shrubs and any lessons learned that might save some heartache. Thank you!

Few suggestions... & do variety. If it’s a poacher screen or important screen- for sure add a row of cedars

ninebark, wild plum, nannyberry, high bush cranberry, willow, etc. if u can keep deer off em.... dogwoods, etc.
iowa dnr is a great source. Some shrubs deer hit hard (dogwood, hazelnut, etc) but worth protecting if able/willing. Some are pretty safe where deer don’t destroy. Cedar is still one go to that deer don’t mess with much that’s always a permanent solution & part of equation.

Top Bottom